Forums > Computers - Technology

Wireless router speeds

(1/3) > >>

texasboy:
 ;D Absolutely no complaints with the present Netgear system which I have had in place for almost 2 years. Very reliable and  with 2 laptops and another pc running  on it, is more than sufficient. My question is. Are the latest routers worthwhile upgrading to? Is there much of an increase in speed (using broadband) and any recommendations.
cheers

Quantum:

--- Quote from: texasboy on September 24, 2007, 07:53:41 am --- ;D Absolutely no complaints with the present Netgear system which I have had in place for almost 2 years. Very reliable and  with 2 laptops and another pc running  on it, is more than sufficient. My question is. Are the latest routers worthwhile upgrading to? Is there much of an increase in speed (using broadband) and any recommendations.
cheers

--- End quote ---

Hmm, you're unlikely to see any increases in speeds when it comes to broadband usage. The typical broadband connection is 8mb/s | 0.5 mb/s, most wireless routers are 802.11g which is a maximum transfer rate of 54 mb/s, which is well above the needed 8, however most wireless connections rarely make this speed, but even under a weak connection you'll often find yourself getting more than 8. The only real time you need a faster connection is when you are transferring files from one computer to another, in which case the faster the better.

802.11g+ provides 108 mb/s but I think this is a proprietary standard and therefore some routers will support it and some won't, I don't think it's IEEE ratified. Some routers advertise themselves as 802.11n offering speeds of 300 mb/s+, now this is somewhat a con, as 802.11n has not be ratified by the IEEE, but rather, draft 1 and draft 2 have, however there will at least be a draft 3 before finalization. Companies employing this standard are causing some real problems, as in certain circumstances 802.11n can kill wireless networks running on 802.11g, b and a.

But in short, if it's to speed up broadband, it's likely unworth it.

texasboy:
Many thanks Quantum, Just as I expected. Happy with with what I have.
cheers

Synbios:
I know this post is rather old. But I just wanted to add my 2 cents

I also have a netgear router, among a few other brands. I have to say from my experience netgear are my favorite and the most stable. I have two of them now, one supporting 108Mbps. You do need a compatible network card for it to work.

In all honesty, 54Mbps is the most you ever need because internet speeds have yet to even come close to that (in most regions at least). Once your internet speeds surpass 54Mbps, then yeah, upgrade so you can make use of it.

If your goal is to transfer huge amounts of data over your LAN, then just get a gigabit wired router, put the computers in close vacinity, and you can laugh at any wireless speed.

DC:
maybe you Netgear guys can help....

WGT624v3
drops at random every 30min to an 1hour but it's only for a few mins then it back up...
get's IP dynamically

tried....
turning off/on Ping
turning off/on firewall
changing routers MAC address to computers
reseting router
rebooting system (modem, router, PC)

when it drops i can still get to http://192.168.1.1/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version