Forums > Computers - Technology

CPU usage

(1/2) > >>

billyfridge:
My PC has been getting slower and slower these days :(

I have run volume fragmentation but it says 'this volume does not need fragmenting'.
I ran scandisc that was ok.
yesterday i brought taskmaster up, clicked on 'applications' and it was showing 50-60%, and i had only my desktop on. :o
i had a look round and deleted a few programs that i don't use anymore, and then taskmaster was showing 0-5%, ( i can't remember which progs i deleted ::) ) so i was happy then.
this morning i ran taskmaster again whilst running Windows Live Messenger, and it was showing 70-90%, which i think is normal, but, underneath the green wavy line, in performance, was a red wavy line, i have never seen that before........i'm running Windows XP pro
any ideas guys???

Quantum:
Install Ubuntu?

Windows XP gets like that, it degrades over its lifetimes, I tend to re-install it for people and make sure they keep using low resource applications. Like you could use Pidgin instead of Windows Live Messenger, not as many features but a lot less hassle.

cissie:
Wouldn't it be just better to take some of the windows programmes out.  Ubuntu you can hardly do anything with, so of course it's going to be better.

Quantum:

--- Quote from: cissie on February 02, 2008, 12:08:58 am ---Wouldn't it be just better to take some of the windows programmes out.  Ubuntu you can hardly do anything with, so of course it's going to be better.

--- End quote ---

Erm, you can do almost everything with Ubuntu, in fact there was an article on Slashdot saying that Ubuntu is more compatible with XP games than Vista is.

It just has way better program management, so things like registry files and start-up systems don't become a real pain.

cissie:
 [whatever]  If you like it then that's good for you.  Personally wouldn't touch it.  Plus maybe okay if your a gamer,  many of us don't use our pc's for gaming.  :)  Whatever your happy with dude  [LOL!]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version