Author Topic: New twist on project 2  (Read 6726 times)

texasboy

New twist on project 2
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:44:54 am »
 ;D Just a simple question to ease my mind.
You will remember my new project no 2  http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1094.0 where I used a 780i Mobo capable of running 3xcards in SLI.  Mobo was  supposedly for DDR2 memory,which I installed 4GB.
Was looking at the boxes that came with the 2x8800GT graphics cards,It says DDR3 for the cards,
Rig running very well with both cards in SLI. Win Vista 64 Ultimate with quad core processor.
Should I worry??
cheers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:47:13 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: New twist on project 2
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:38:32 pm »
RAM on graphics card has nothing to do with RAM on the motherboard.

Graphics cards are essentially like mini computers, with the GPU as the CPU, RAM, the card acting like the motherboard and various I/O ports. Graphics needs its own, typically faster, RAM separate from CPU RAM if it's to run well.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:27:09 am »
 ;D Tks Quantum, are you telling me that I did good with the 8800GT cards.lol
Getting ready to start a new project  no 3, but will take a long look at what is available before starting build. As you said before,unless you want to play top games there is not much need to upgrade to latest cards and mobo`s. Its great to have instant change over from web to web and no waiting for load ups, but this is for every day pc operations. Doing this mostly for fun and recreation. Will let you know shortly what what next step is.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:10:03 pm »
8800GT was a pretty good card when you bought it, but times have moved on and there are faster even more reasonable price cards now, but this is expected of computers.

If you were willing to look at AMD then I'd probably suggest trying a computer with their new integrated graphics processor, it apparently performs really well, and is very good at video decoding if you set it up, so you can tie it together with cheapish CPU and not have to worry about demanding tasks. The combination makes a strong cheap platform.

Unfortunately, Intel's counterpart graphics chipset has significant performance woes, even Intel have admitted it has problems. So if you want an Intel platform I'd highly suggest getting a cheap discrete graphics card like the nVidia 8400 or the ATi 3450
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."