Author Topic: IANA USED AND UNUSED PORTS FOR P2P  (Read 16537 times)

HyperSpeed

IANA USED AND UNUSED PORTS FOR P2P
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:38:59 pm »
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

this basicly is the bible of port fowarding. If you like downloading torrents like i do then you need to know that some sites require you to be connectable so you can........ 1, seed back to the comunity  2, keep a good ratio

Having the correct tcp listening port is vital so that you dont get a nat problem. Using the above link and using any unused port above 49152 is essential. Then you need to make sure you have fowarded the correct tcp port number through your router to allow incoming connections.

Then you can goto this link http://www.portforward.com/ to find the router you use and the client you use to download torrents. Follow the instructions and all done.

One thing i would point out is through my experience over the years you dont need any software firewall or winxp firewall. Most routers have built in firewalls, which is all you need. So if you use zone alarm or other firewall software, get rid of them and also stop the winxp firewall in services as you do not need it.
Another point i should make is the use of antivirus software, norton, avg, and etc., dont like p2p file sharing.the only one that works is nod32.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 04:00:30 pm by MinLo »

MinLo

Re: IANA USED AND UNUSED PORTS FOR P2P
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:54:31 pm »
[
One thing i would point out is through my experience over the years you dont need any software firewall or winxp firewall. Most routers have built in firewalls, which is all you need. So if you use zone alarm or other firewall software, get rid of them and also stop the winxp firewall in services as you do not need it.
Another point i should make is the use of antivirus software, norton, avg, and etc., dont like p2p file sharing.the only one that works is nod32.

I disagree with you on the part I qouted........If your not too computer savy, it would be in your best interests to keep a firewall and anti-virus........If your router has a firewall it still would be a lite risk to leave yourself open like that........Not having an antivirus could be disatrous........Since most people that already know how to forward wouldn't read this, It seems that it is directed torwards newbies with not enough knowledge tosecure their window's properly........

I have never encountered a problem with EZ antivirus,AVG, and Avast while P2P'ing.........

If your having a problem with forwarding after completing forwarding ports with your router, I would suggest forwarding your ports within your software firewall.........

I do agree with disabling your firewall that Micro$hit supplies because it is junk......If you run Windows XP/ME/98,etc.,I would suggest having as much protection as possible......
Spy/adware protection is also a must.........
If your downloading copyrighted material you should also run Protowall/Peer Guardian.......PG/Proto aren't gonna guarentee no trouble but I believe it helps aslong with others

I edited your post a little to make it more readable...... :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 04:03:53 pm by MinLo »

HyperSpeed

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 09:24:34 pm »
yes i can agree with you on some points.this is my own preference after spending 5 years p2p file sharing.of course you must have antivirus thats why i suggested no32 antivirus.i have tryed all other av softwware only to find that the scan for un reconised files like torrents then stop you from dwnloading.i did forget to mention protowall and also spyware checker but this is the way i have my system running for the last 2 years with out any such problems.i have also set up other members pc like this because it was simple to setup and use and never had any complaints back.each to there own.regarding the router the built in firewall is all i use and get good results back.ok some people only have modems then they need a software firewall and to configure it but i was aiming at those that use a router.hopefully with our commecnts people will lern from this..

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:59:42 am »
Windows XP SP2 firewall is completely useless, I have it disabled all the time. Software firewalls are also very stupid and useless. They are only good if you have downloaded a worm or some type of virus that communicates through the internet. If you have a good anti-virus you shouldn't have to worry about one. Do you think it's really necessary to block internet traffic from AIM or something? These programs are just hoaxes, annoying, and silly.

I also have another point to make across, nobody wants to hack you. period. Do you have some government top secret files? Some passwords or access codes to some state of the art biophysics nuclear reactor? I hate to break it to you but nobody wants to download your book report from 5th grade.

If you really are that paranoid, a hardware firewall that are built into most routers should suffice. If you really do download some nasty virus or file from the internet by accident, an anti-virus should take care of you.

To sum up, my recommendation:
- Disable Windows XP firewall completely
- Don't use software firewalls
- Get a router, and port forward the ports that you need
- Get a decent anti-virus, and keep the definitions up to date
- Don't download or open risky files (espectially small .exe files, we all know this)
- Use a secure browser like Opera or Firefox, I haven't tried the new IE but I will never use IE again anyways

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:05:18 am »
Windows XP SP2 firewall is completely useless, I have it disabled all the time. Software firewalls are also very stupid and useless. They are only good if you have downloaded a worm or some type of virus that communicates through the internet. If you have a good anti-virus you shouldn't have to worry about one. Do you think it's really necessary to block internet traffic from AIM or something? These programs are just hoaxes, annoying, and silly.

I also have another point to make across, nobody wants to hack you. period. Do you have some government top secret files? Some passwords or access codes to some state of the art biophysics nuclear reactor? I hate to break it to you but nobody wants to download your book report from 5th grade.

If you really are that paranoid, a hardware firewall that are built into most routers should suffice. If you really do download some nasty virus or file from the internet by accident, an anti-virus should take care of you.

To sum up, my recommendation:
- Disable Windows XP firewall completely
- Don't use software firewalls
- Get a router, and port forward the ports that you need
- Get a decent anti-virus, and keep the definitions up to date
- Don't download or open risky files (especially small .exe files, we all know this)
- Use a secure browser like Opera or Firefox, I haven't tried the new IE but I will never use IE again anyways
Synbios, I`m not sure I agree with your reasoning..
Yes I too disable MS firewall and I use a free zone alarm firewall which has saved me on numerous occasions when hackers are trying to access my PC. There are hackers out there who will practice  on us small fry. and other small business ventures. You don't need to be holding top secret codes for these people to strike, DK Forums is a perfect example.
As far as anti-virus is concerned I have found Norton to be very overbearing and it does  not like any other programmes which interferes with its dominance on winxp and fiile sharing.
I have used the free AVG for the past 6 years and it does its job.
These two programmes have never interfered with any of my p2p  activities and actually have caught Trojans and other virus related items.
In conclusion ,why buy when the freeware does the job.
I.E. is much better now. I remember discussions last year when I used Firefox and how it had a better update system going for for it. Got rid of firefox with no problems and PC  is is in top shape now.(ps. I have 3 PC`s running in house without firefox or norton)
Every company will declare their firewall is the best including the routers. Its all for the almighty $$$
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:02:34 pm »
I wasn't aware that zone alarm was free. And I do think the Norton anti-virus is cocky and a bit overrated.

AVG is defintiely an awesome anti-virus.

Right now, I don't have an anti-virus.

bosoxfan

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 01:38:19 pm »
I haven't had a firewall or antivirus for a while now.

If the hackers are on my pc, I haven't noticed..

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 07:14:53 pm »
Sometimes that's kind of the point...

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:01:25 pm »
I haven't had a firewall or antivirus for a while now.

When you do notice bosox it will be to late.

With XP Pro I use ZoneAlarm Pro and Norton and I took the time to tweak Norton so it's not a resource hog on that OS. Now with XP MCE I use ZoneAlarm Pro and Kaspersky and once again took the time to tweak Kaspersky and have it running in the background with no problems when it comes to DL'ing from any p2p application, Bit Che or any torrents. Also I totally agree with disabling the built in firewall within Windows.

Now I don't use a router yet (I don't like wireless routers) but when Verizon's FiOS is available in my area (I plan on getting the 20Mbps\5Mbps package) I will invest in a router since there are 2 PC's in my home.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 02:32:03 am »
Verizon FiOS is amazing. Wireless routers are not. If I were you, I would make the best efforts to get a wired router and do the best you can to connect them via cable.