RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Price difference on PC  (Read 6955 times)

texasboy

Price difference on PC
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:45:38 am »
This is a general question on price of new PC`s. I was approached today by a work mate who doesnt have a PC,but plays games on x-box (or something similar.) He would like to buy a PC with reasonable specs and some degree of general game compatablility. (not high end cards). Is it possible to build one with individually bought components and still be ahead in price of store mass produced units ? What sort of ratio of savings could be made if trying to match components. He has asked me to build a replica of a store PC. Admittedly you would have to add cost of windows cd etc.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Price difference on PC
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:47:04 am »
Easily, you can put a good PC together and stay way ahead of store prices. There isn't a very clear ratio, but as an example a computer say from PC world advertised for £600 you can probably looking at putting slightly better together for £450.

The best trick when buying a PC is to look at what you want to do with it, consider how much budget you want to spend and then look at what you can buy with that budget.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline death

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:16:24 pm »
I agree its considerably cheaper to build your own.... But you gotta know what your doing....

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:01:34 am »
Tks, what I will try to do is for him  to give me the specs of the store PC he is interested in. I can then throw open for discussion. Quantum knows that sometimes  there are equivalent rated processors and cards from different suppliers at different prices. Will get back soon.
cheers