Author Topic: New PC  (Read 22783 times)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: New PC
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 03:03:42 am »
Out of interest, what would be the worth in getting a ATI RADEON 256MB X600 PCI-EXPRESS X16 (I know nothing about Radeon), as this is being sold in an auction here (also with a lot of memory and a 250 GB HDD that I wanted... nice)
It's worth about the same as a 6800LE, it's a good card but has been known to break often, I wouldn't buy in an auction.

It costs £70 new here which is about $210 NZ right? But I don't know what the difference in tax and stuff is.

Sorry, even for that price (Google tells me that's about £270), you could of probabily put something together yourself for a bit better.

Are you kidding?

A new 250GB hard drive I'm buying is $150
a 1GB stick of RAM i'm buying is about $120

The CPU itself is about $300

I haven't even started on anything else - this PC from Dell with the warranty I got is worth $1700 NZ

Plus all I'm looking at is, what will be the different in buying a new graphics card?

All I see is a few hundred down the drain... because I will be able to play some new game that looks cool that I will get bored of in a week, that's about it lol.

I am not kidding, I could of put a better system together for that price (not fantasticly better, but certainly better). It costs £10 more to get a 200GB hdd over a 80GB hdd. The graphics card there I never even knew that the ATI "x" series went as low as 300, I doubt they could of sold it for £5 on its own. CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive is a rip off, you should have a CD-RW/DVD-RW combo, given that they cost less than £20 to buy.

The CPU sells for "$300" maybe, but it's not "worth" $300, the state of the CPU market at the moment and you can always get a better one for the same price a week later. I know much better ones for that price now.

What DDR2 memory are we talking about? Because if its 533, again its a rip off, you can get 667 for the same price these days and even when I put budget computers together these days I always stick 1 GB in.

The warranty is pretty good (the one thing I think Dells are worth), but the fact you break it by upgrading components yourself, kind of sucks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:07:17 am by Quantum »
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 09:16:46 pm »
Well, if that's true, then the prices here differ extremely to the prices over where you are. You say there's a 10 pound difference between a 80GB hdd and a 200GB hdd, just had a look and there's a 20 pound difference (converting) in the price of the same here.

Whatever, it's working now, which is more than I can say about my old one!

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 06:40:47 am »
OMG.....I just sh*t myself...........I was uninstalling a broadband prog off my new PC and i got the dreaded blue screen...i went into 'restore'.....no calendar, so no restore points.........i just managed to get it going in 'last good configuration thingy........PHEEEEEEEEW....lol