RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: changing one pc from 64-32bit  (Read 10593 times)

texasboy

changing one pc from 64-32bit
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:17:09 am »
What is the easiest way to take Vista64 Ultimate off one of my PC`s and change back to 32bit. Have cdroms for both. Leaving 64bit on this one as its doing great.Just fancied a change on slightly older model.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: changing one pc from 64-32bit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:04:56 am »
What is the easiest way to take Vista64 Ultimate off one of my PC`s and change back to 32bit. Have cdroms for both. Leaving 64bit on this one as its doing great.Just fancied a change on slightly older model.
cheers

Back-up all your important data, stick the 32bit disk in and format the hard drive and install. Alternatively it might offer to put all your old files in a windows.old folder under the same format structure, so no need for a format but I don't remember too well with Vista.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:11:23 am »
Went through all the changes on transfers ,but kinda hung up after I loaded 66 windows updates.lol. Will hook up again tmw and continue.. Did a clean partition install, and yes it probably saved to old files, which most I can delete later.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
 ;D Now we are up and running again 32 bit on the old OC 6800GS x 2 SLI rig. Everything is now updated and I am very pleased with the speed and graphics, Main thing is that I must have got my fans right, as max temp on E6550 duo is 31deg C. Not bad for an old timer ;D. Still doing minor updates. Now that this is back to vista 32 bit I can use Zone Alarm free firewall. Have found an excellent disk fragmenter jkdefrag, which lets you see whats its doing. The first run may take 20 minutes but after that it reduces to 5 min.Works on Vista 64 bit as well. http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/ make sure you use the correct version for your pc. you have to run it directly from the application in your download (no desktop icons). Even after running vista defrag (which doesnt give you any info) it still cleans up the leftovers. And its free.lol.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:16:04 am »
I've been using degragler recently, mostly because of it's cute name I think, but there are lots of good defrag programs out there. Well worth a look since they took massive steps backwards with successive Windows defrag programs.

Air flow is so so important in computers to get CPU and GPU really really cool, takes a bit to get wires and fans all right, but sometimes well worth it.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:32:05 am »
Thats it Quantum, I read some of the forums, and they all seem to be at loggerheads as to which is the best programme. Stick with what suits you best.
cheers