Author Topic: Laptop Upgrade  (Read 7372 times)

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Laptop Upgrade
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:53:32 am »
Hi all,

I have a older IBM T23 laptop a sweet little unit the specs are -

INTEL P3 m, 1GHZ, 20GB Hard drive, 1GB ram, one (1) hot swapable bay consisting of (1) 3 1/2" floppy or (1) DVD/CD play-record or (1) extra battery or (1) extra hard drive, running Windows 2000 Pro w/ NT.

I have a new 100GB 7200 RPM hard drive to install in it but I'm not quite sure if I can install it in the swapable bay tray I have for it, and copy over the Operating System and the IBM "Firmware" from the factory hard drive to my new 100GB, because it can run two (2) hard drives, but then it has no floppy or DVD/CD. Then all I would have to do is install the new hard drive and toss the 20GB factory one.

I'm just not sure, has anyone attempted such a thing ??

Fuzzy
 ;D

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:12:44 am »
Well, either you can install it or you can't, there's no massive harm in trying. But an old laptop like that might struggle in terms of the amount of power consumption and heat generation with a 7200 RPM hard drive, certainly battery life would take a bit of a hit I'd imagine.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »
Well, either you can install it or you can't, there's no massive harm in trying. But an old laptop like that might struggle in terms of the amount of power consumption and heat generation with a 7200 RPM hard drive, certainly battery life would take a bit of a hit I'd imagine.

Hi Quantum,
First I went to the bios and checked for the hard drive information and there was none at all everything else but that? I installed the hard drive in the swappable bay started up windows and the drive manager saw it and I formated it partitioned it and went to windows 2000 back-up and backed up C: drive to now D: drive and then did a recover on D: drive.

It had the same amount of files and was the same size with the show hidden files on as C: drive. I went and swapped out the drives and turned on the computer but no drive seen. I'm thinking its the firmware looking at the C: drive in the drive manager it shows the drive in two partitions one the IBM preload thats 17.44 GB and a service thats 1.19, I have a original copy commander software disc and tried it using a USB port with a DVD/CD r/rw using the bios to start up using the USB which works but then it shows only the original drive and no second drive in the swapable bay to transfer to.

Have any ideas ? I'm thinking that maybe to have it copied somewhere, it looks like the bios needs the "service" partition for drive recognition and windows backup wont get me there either.

Fuzzy
 ;D