Author Topic: Hughes.net/FAP........  (Read 12153 times)

Offline swampwizard52

• View Profile
Hughes.net/FAP........
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:17:19 am »
Hello Everybody, I have been useing BitChe for torrent search for over a year and I'm very happy with it. I also use BiTorrent. My problem is: I live in the backwoods of FL,USA where the only hi-speed internet connection is by sattelite. My ISP is Hughes.net and they have a Fair Use Policy which limits downloading to 300 MB's in 24 hours. Well fine,except I downloaded 6.9 MB's in 24 hrs. and they claim I violated FAP.Granted, It's my problem with Hughes.net. I have heard of people being able to pirate into peoples modems. Has anybody else had these problems? Any helpful hints? Hughes.net Customer Service sux! Thanks! ??? :-\

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes.net/FAP........
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:45:38 am »
Hi Swamp....I don't know much about wireless modems, but shouldn't you have a firewall in place to stop people hacking into your modem??

Offline swampwizard52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:36 am »
Thanks billyfridge, I've always used Windows firewall with no problems. I guess I should upgrade.

MinLo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:57:50 am »
Hello Everybody, I have been useing BitChe for torrent search for over a year and I'm very happy with it. I also use BiTorrent. My problem is: I live in the backwoods of FL,USA where the only hi-speed internet connection is by sattelite. My ISP is Hughes.net and they have a Fair Use Policy which limits downloading to 300 MB's in 24 hours. Well fine,except I downloaded 6.9 MB's in 24 hrs. and they claim I violated FAP.Granted, It's my problem with Hughes.net. I have heard of people being able to pirate into peoples modems. Has anybody else had these problems? Any helpful hints? Hughes.net Customer Service sux! Thanks! ??? :-\

Is your wireless network secured with an encryption key? I'm not too keen with wireless but I don't think a firewall would do much but protect your personal computer from being intruded upon.......

here's a general article to get you started and then you can google the rest yourself
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

If you have a wireless modem and don't secure the network, it's pretty much broadcasting free internet.