Author Topic: Laptop stolen  (Read 8475 times)

texasboy

Laptop stolen
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:21:40 am »
My daughters laptop was stolen in Madrid. She is in a show ,ice skating pantomime with Circus Americano. While the girls were doing their show,theives broke open some of the doors on the caravans and stole laptop,camera`s and money. The circus were very generous and compensated them. My daughter was home for 2 days and left today. She bought a new laptop yesterday,not top of the range but seems adequate for movies etc.
A Packard Bell. YES.!! lol. Vista Home Premium
Easynote SL51-B-47OUK
AMD Turion 64x2 RM-72 Processor 2.1GHz
Memory 3GB DDR2
SECOND HDD bay
250GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
ATI Radeon3100 up to 1407MB Hypermemory
DVD Dual+R9 Sata
17"WXGA Diamond view technology
Plus usual,wireless,and software

Set up most of updates before she left. Seems like a reasonable machine for £449.00
At least the graphic card can be updated later.
No doubt laptop will have its faults.
any opinions anyone.? tks
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop stolen
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:54 am »
sounds a nice laptop Tex.
bloody thieves are everywhere, thieves broke into my little car AGAIN they couldn't drive it away cos i got a steering wheel lock on it, brain dead assholes. [mad]

jchen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:29:31 pm »
oh wow that's so terrible  :(

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
Sucks :(, I got mugged a few weeks back but I pushed them off and they didn't get anything. Apparently there was quite a spate of similar muggings, where people were followed off the metro by a small gang of 18ish year old boys and they'd then get back on the metro in to Manchester.

As for the laptop, looks pretty good and that's the sort of specs you'd expect for that price. Though I don't know how you expect to be able to upgrade the graphics at a later date.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:13:04 am »
I had no idea packard bell was still around, I haven't seen them in years. The first new computer my family ever had was a Packard Bell in 1994 (the one's before that were hand me downs). I haven't seen a PB since.

You should consider putting tracking software on the laptops. There is a way to run a free version of WinVNC on your laptop, and it will run as a hidden background service. You can have it continually broadcast it's IP. As soon as the thieves hook it up to the internet, you'll be able to trace the IP right away and either use your own IP tracing software or contact the ISP of the IP address to find the actual physical location. Imagine the look on their faces. Of course, if they format it or never hook it up to the internet you won't find it. GPS and LoJack solutions are much more expensive, but even more fool proof.

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:19:42 am »
Holy cows!!!! You folks have been having a great time.  It seems like these young ones have nothing better to do with their time.(of course mum and dad,if they have one,dont give a toss). Syn, will pass your info on to daughter.tks.
cheers.

PS. forgot to mention her luggage was 13kilo`s overweight. 195 euro`s later. No cigs for a week.
cheers