Author Topic: Cleaning inside your PC.  (Read 10565 times)

texasboy

Cleaning inside your PC.
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:45:22 am »
I`ts nothing that you have to do every month, but once or twice a year its good to get all that accumulated dust and breadcrumbs off your fans and other parts. I`m sure there is a right and wrong way of doing this but this is what I have found that works for me.
A good quality ladies make up brush (soft and fluffy ::)) a small vacuum cleaner which is held a few inches away from the PC. Gently brush the dust off the fans. You can usually even remove graphic and memory cards to brush clean,before working on other parts inside the tower. Just be careful not to hit anything with the vacuum,and always disconnect all the power sources.

It will slightly reduce noise,and fans will have less grunge to spin around.
Thats my story.!!! Whats yours?? Or have you never thought of this.
cheers

Offline olddays1

• Convivea News Anchor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning inside your PC.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:57:18 am »
I normally hold my breath, cross my fingers and go at it with a can of compressed gas power duster! I was once told not to let the power duster spin the fans so I stick a pencil in the blades to keep them from spinning?

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:33:14 am »
I'm waiting until I steam clean my garden paths, then I will steam clean my PC as well.
MinLo gave me this brilliant idea [happy]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:35:24 am by billyfridge »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:16:28 pm »
Also, it's good to replace your system fans every couple of years. You can pick up 2 good, quiet 92mm fans for less than £10 these days. CPU fans are a bit more tricky, I'd just keep an eye on temperature of your CPU every now and again.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:06 am »
Also, it's good to replace your system fans every couple of years. You can pick up 2 good, quiet 92mm fans for less than £10 these days. CPU fans are a bit more tricky, I'd just keep an eye on temperature of your CPU every now and again.

Hey Quantum,

I agree with you but some computer manufactures like "Dell" uses a special connector on the fan wire leads and off the shelf fans won't work. You can cut off the connector and solder the leads on and use some srink tube to cover each of the connections "OR" get a OEM fan in this case to be safe if your unable to modify the fan yourself.

Fuzzy
 ;D

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:30:33 am »
Good comment. Todays fans are made of better stuff and should last you quite a few years, My oldest PC which now coming on 9 years  is as quiet and cool as the day it was bought. The other newer PC`s have no problems and it`s a pleasant task to open them up for cleaning. Makes me wonder how the hell I ever managed to put them together.
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:18:46 am »
Good comment.  Makes me wonder how the hell I ever managed to put them together.
cheers

I often wonder about that Tex.......he he he