RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: got a crazy mouse problem  (Read 7566 times)

texasboy

got a crazy mouse problem
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:40 am »
 ;D Got a little problem with standard wired mouse. I`ve had to switch over to this PC and the same mouse is working perfectly on it.
My normal rig is 2x8800gt cards on SLI with 780i mobo,Q6600  CPU Vista Ultimate 64 bit. etc.
Everything is booting up as normal but mouse freezes after desktop has settled. Tried several mice(all working) same result.
Have changed settings in start up,even to defaults,but wont work. Will try restoring to earlier date using Windows cdrom. Will also do visual check insiide case to see if any connections have come adrift. Have been getting good driver update from Nvidia lately and PC running super.Even updated Bios.
Will buy new mouse tmw and try it. If any of you have any thoughts,would swap you some JD or Catnip for yer help.(sorry JD delivery under pressure) >:D
cheers
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:26:53 am by texasboy »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: got a crazy mouse problem
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:18:52 am »
is it a USB mouse or PS/2 ?

does it work booting in Safe Mode?

1. either way, open up Device Manager   (Win-Key + R, type 'devmgmt.msc')
2. hit tab
3. arrow down to Mice & Pointing devices
4. hit the right arrow button
5. press down arrow
6. assuming you now have your mouse name selected, hit Alt-A
7. scroll down to 'Uninstall' and press enter
8. unplug your mouse
8. Reboot your machine
9. once the desktop is fully loaded, plug the mouse back in  (if its USB)..

note: if its PS/2, then you will have to plug it back in after you shut down and the power is off, (before you computer reboots and hits the bios)

at that point, the mouse should get re-installed... and hopefully start working again.

also might want to add, what kind of mouse is it?
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:19 pm »
If the mouse is working untill you get to the desktop there isnt a problem with the mouse it's a windows problem.

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:04:07 am »
Tks for replies.
Chip, Win- key+R doesnt work on keyboard.
Mouse works in safe mode with no problems. Unistalled mouse and re-boot,then plugged in USB mouse,driver installed,mouse worked for about 1.5mins before freezing.
Noticed that AVG 8.5 (bought cdrom version) has scanner down and may be part of problem. When updating AVG it doesnt change loss of scanner. Will not let me unistall in control panel or directly,due to this one component being inoperative.
bovski, you may have a point that I have a seperate problem with a Windows program. Have restored to 1/3/09 and bought a simple optical mouse today. Will get this message in first on old PC before I set myself on fire. Will let you know soon. Clocks go forward 1 hour for us tonight.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:04:04 am »
UPDATE-
Took me for ever to uninstall AVG 8.5. Then using cdrom I found 3 items on installation that cannot be started in safe mode. New optical mouse working great. Put everything into default at start up. Managed to get enough time to install AVG before all froze.
Took side off case and tried again. found 2 cooling fans not turning. So I can perhaps put it down to a bit of overheating and auto cut off. Fans now working and I have been on PC for over 30mins and no problems.
All in a days work
tks for help
cheers