RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Something random for thought - 2010 or 2000 & 10?  (Read 6163 times)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
Something random for thought - 2010 or 2000 & 10?
« on: March 20, 2009, 07:59:11 pm »
Apparently what will happen in 2010 is that people will stop calling it 'two thousand and x' and call it 'twenty x'

So instead of 'two thousand and ten' people will call it 'twenty ten'. This all came about because 2000 is easier said as 'two thousand' rather than the usual 'twenty hundred' (think, 1900). Then, 2001 - 'two thousand (and) one' is still quicker to say that 'twenty oh one' and therefore this continues until 2010.

Right now people will still call the year 'two thousand and ten' but experts (don't ask me to reference) say that this will die out in favour of 'twenty ten' and will continue. They (they say a lot don't they? [yes they do]) say that after some time people will go back to this naming system for all the years, so you will say 'ninteen seventy three' 'twenty sixty four' and 'twenty oh nine' without even thinking that you used to say 'two thousand and nine' when it was 2009.

What do you think? After a thought (but not for too long) I agree with this, and am starting to try and adapt by saying 'twenty ten' already.

Oh and a thought, the movie 2012 I'm already hearing referred to 'twenty twelve' so maybe this is all a subconcious thing? But then again, if you ask someone what year it will be 50 years from now they usually reply 'two thousand and fifty nine'.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:00:52 pm by TheNightWatchman »

texasboy

Re: Something random for thought - 2010 or 2000 & 10?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:39 am »
 ;D So I was born in 1943. What should  say "nineteen forty three".lol or "one nine four three"
Interesting subject NWM. >:D
cheers