Author Topic: Assistance required  (Read 9931 times)

Immortalis

Assistance required
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »
I've been running bit che for awhile now and it's a great program, I've never had any problems until now.  Now, for some odd reason, whenever I do a search, no matter what I search for, it comes back with 0 results. No error messages, just no results. Can anyone help?

I've attached the debug log.

Thank you

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance required
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:36:16 am »
Hi,

What antivirus software do you use? and what firewall? and other security software do you use?

Also,  please see the following post for enabling debug output from Bit Che:

http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=319.msg2810#msg2810

however, please set "debug=3"..  (in settings.ini)

next, in the directory where settings.ini is found, please create the folder "logs"

now, start up bit che, do search.. and then check that \logs folder. if you can .zip up all the logs there and post them, that would be a big help.

also, i need to ask, you have all your scripts enabled, right? in Bit Che, press F2 and verify they are checked..

-  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Immortalis

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:06:14 am »
I use AVG antivirus. AVG and Bit Che have always worked flawlessly together for me.

I have Windows firewall and bit che is added to the exceptions list, and I have the firewall built in to my D-Link router. I tried to open a specific port for Bit Che in it, but couldn't find anything on what port Bit Che uses. Either way, I've never needed to to do that before and it used to work great.

Here is the Zip file containing logs and the new Debug info file with debug set to 3.

Yes, all the standard scripts are enabled :) When I do a search, say for "Prison Break" for example, the sites show up at the bottom and one by one it goes through them and finds nothing while the list of sites gets smaller until none remain. At the end, I have a blank screen, in the bottom right corner it says "00" which I believe means 0 results found and 0 entries removed. This occurs no matter what it is I search for.

Immortalis

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:58:33 am »
Here's screen shots of me using it to search and results.

... and oddly enough, after my last post, I went away from my computer for a few hours to watch a movie and when I came back I found this on my screen.

"Runtime packed fsg"   "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F6A2F27A-D514-4C69-A851-ECD12D0245D0}\RP91\A0022731.exe"   ""   "file"   "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe"
"Runtime packed fsg"   "C:\Programs\Bit Che\Bit_Che.exe"   ""   ""file"   "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe"

Not quite sure what this is/means. Something to do with Bit Che and Windows Explorer shell... but Bit Che wasn't even running at the time.

I removed the SVI files then reactivated it and re-downloaded Bit Che from Convivea and reinstalled it. Scanned the computer and came up with nothing, no viruses or anything wrong.

Bit Che still doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:38:56 pm by Immortalis »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »
ok.... thanks for all the posts, i went over everything.

here's my best guess:

you have something running on your system that has system-wide API hooks and is blocking standard win32 event messages and api calls from reaching Bit Che.

evidence:
1. your screen shots show that the shadows, window size and results listview are not correctly sized and drawn.   100% win32 api events.
2. it appears that the api calls for reading .INI works correctly... but the API call for binary reading of a file is NOT working....
3. the API call "GetPrivateProfileStringW" from "kernel32" is NOT working...  you are set for English language.. but its not reading even the basic "strings" from the language file... English.ini..

so... lets start looking at the whatever updates you have had recently to your system.. or what version of AVG you have?  some software picked up 'fsg' as he packer that bit_che.exe uses... this is correct. but what software is detected that.. and thus blocking it?

edit:   wait, bit_che.exe does not use fsg as its packer.. it used to, but it hasnt for the last few versions.. but it does use a packer, just a different one.

will you run gmer from gmer.net and post a screen shot:

http://www.gmer.net/gmer.zip

also:

http://www.security.org.sg/code/apihookcheck.html

"ApiHookCheck.exe > result.html"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:19:31 am by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Immortalis

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:43 am »

Well... AVG wasn't finding anything, but I took your suggestion to heart anyways. "IF" there was something like that interfering, it might explain a few very minor glitches I've been experiencing, in which case I didn't want any remnants of whatever it is to stick around so I reverted back to "previous state" install backup I had and sure enough, everything seems to work great now.

I apologize for putting you through all the trouble, specially since there was nothing wrong with Bit Che, but I do greatly appreciate you helping me solve the problem. Bit Che is apparently a greatly invaluable tool to me. I didn't realize how much until it stopped working.

A greater donation will be be coming shortly  ^-^

Thank you again!