RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Wireless Routers  (Read 11145 times)

texasboy

Wireless Routers
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:49:52 am »
Still working off my very old Netgear 54 Mbps (probably 4 years old) to provide service to other users in the household. Working well and no problems. Has anything really improved to warrant a new router?? When I brought this subject up many moons ago,systems were quite happy with the router I have. Main PC running off ethernet broadband  cable. Had reduced speed to 2-4 Mb speed, but server updated to 10 Mb free. Virginmedia has now 50Mb available.
Any thoughts people??
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Routers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:12:05 am »
I got a Linksys router, had it for about 18months, works fine, and provides a firewall. I'm on Virgin Media, dunno about the 50mb though. I don't need it, but my son will, if I gotta pay extra, my son will have to pay it he does a lot of downloading [rolleyes]

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:34:25 am »
All routers provide internal firewalls.

You need to either look in to 802.11G with very good antennas to provide about 54 Mbps, 802.11G+ which is a proprietary system so you need the right cards and router to prove 104 Mbps or you need to look in to 802.11n draft 2 which will provide 200 - 300 Mbps.

Make sure you get cards which can receive the right sort of signal and provide them with higher dB(i) antennas if they need it, read a few reviews of the router beforehand to gauge it's wireless quality.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:58 am »
Had a good read through info on the web regarding 802.11n routers. They have had many problems over these ;
last couple of years. Many have come and gone. The main problem seems to be the interference they cause to other routers within range and their ability to use both range widths effectfully. The price range is also high.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:41:16 pm »
Had a good read through info on the web regarding 802.11n routers. They have had many problems over these ;
last couple of years. Many have come and gone. The main problem seems to be the interference they cause to other routers within range and their ability to use both range widths effectfully. The price range is also high.
cheers

We got fairly standard 802.11n router for about £75, it has 2 omni-directional antennas and 1 focused antenna. Every review said it had fantastic wireless range, we don't even use it's n capability because the cards are a little too expensive atm, but it's good to know we'll be able to upgrade in the future. Before that we'd already upgraded the antennas on the PCs, they were £5, more than doubled the signal reception and were very versatile as they came off a wire from the PC and had a magnet base so we could stick them in a better receiving position (right between the back of a PC and the wall leads to poor signal quality).

Draft 2 of the 802.11n specification, which routers are generally on at the moment, means the router will search the bandwidth spectrum and try and avoid frequencies which interfere with other wireless settings. But as it stands if there are many wireless signals in the same area then the noise interferes with each other anyway unless your on a signal band 4 away from any of the others (pretty unlikely as there are 13 choices in Europe). Also, many companies provide firmware updates come out when the new drafts of standards come out so that they better comply and resolve such issues, I know the linksys routers (we have one) firmware are licensed in GPL and so people write custom firmware for them to improve particular settings.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:46:16 pm by Quantum »

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:25:01 am »
Hi all,

Most "HACKERS" love wireless routers, most are configured incorrect with the a computers operating system ...... you can drive around any town, city or village and access many networks and personal computers, use wireless routers properly or risk being hacked.

Fuzzy
:)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:13:41 am »
Hi all,

Most "HACKERS" love wireless routers, most are configured incorrect with the a computers operating system ...... you can drive around any town, city or village and access many networks and personal computers, use wireless routers properly or risk being hacked.

Fuzzy
:)

2 easy things to get around this:

1. Make sure you use a non-default password on the router
2. Make sure the default firmware doesn't have some huge security hole in it and update it if needs be

Other than that they can only steal your bandwidth but you can add a wireless security key system which hasn't been broken yet.

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:10 am »
 ;D Somewhat related to this topic. You may remember I was having problems on Win 64 bit PC (freezing) and thought it was the 2 fans not running.http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1430.msg13756#new For some reason Belkin wireless came to the rescue. Following is a part of message  sent to another member.

Dont no exactly what I did but got this PC running again.
Enabled serial port 1 as a start.
Changed network to Belkin 125 high speed mode on 2.4GHz(says its 35% faster) Had tried all my normal 54Mbps(802.11g) but 64bit vista wouldnt recoginize cdr, (even set to WinXP.in compatability). The 125 ver worked and windows immediately supplied update to make it work on vista 64bit.
Removed ethernet cable and booted up with Belkin only.
Removed all nvidea drivers and updated again. Everthing running great and no hangups. Run stability tests using nvidia ntune(unistall/install to latest for vista 64) no problems.
Have again run several stability tests and increased GPU TO 624/919. Quick run on 3DMark gives excellent figures.
Temperatures pretty decent 40deg CPU and 48deg onGPU.

Its still going strong after 3 hours.
Wonder if it was the old ethernet cable.

Im sure there is a proper answer to all this, but now running well above 2.4GHz stock.(2.93GHz at present
cheers
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:55:12 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:32:35 pm »
Sounds like either some buggy ethernet drivers or something broken on the motherboard (buggy network controller etc..)