Author Topic: Using msconfig to change start up.  (Read 11440 times)

texasboy

Using msconfig to change start up.
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:42:48 am »
I regularily use msconfig to set my start up to only my antivirus and firewall. Speeds up the time on start up. How do you delete old items on the start up list? I have one programme(pal evidence eliminator) supposedly in programme file which was deleted long time ago ,but keeps popping up during scans. Does not show up in programmes or search ,including hidden files. It was originally downloaded from a PC magazine cdr. Is it that good that it can remain hidden from me? Where can I find the remains.regedit???
cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Using msconfig to change start up.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:50:46 am »
this is my personal favorite:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

much more powerful than msconfig... and you can easily delete the entries from your registry, etc..

but the entries that are disabled in msconfig go to a special folder in your registry..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-Disabled   or something like that.. i ferget
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:04:50 am »
Some programs can hide themselves deep inside a system, Windows isn't designed to be open and transparent.

I use Spybot S&D advanced tools to find a lot of stuff. There are some other good programs and there is the traditional learning how these programs actually hide themselves and going in to the system manually.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:53:07 am »
this is my personal favorite:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

much more powerful than msconfig... and you can easily delete the entries from your registry, etc..

but the entries that are disabled in msconfig go to a special folder in your registry..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-Disabled   or something like that.. i ferget

Looks great. Now just give me a few seconds to digest  ::). It` a toss up between  looking at Chips info or taking better half out to supper, Who do you thiink won. ;D. will try info a little later.lol
cheers

MinLo

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 04:43:51 pm »
.........HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg..........If your trying to delete old/disabled items from the list and are using XP........

I was wondering this also,I tried Chip's location to no avail.......So I did a lil' googling and found this location........I had like 10 items I didn't use or want and now it's all cleaned up  ;D

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:48:00 am »
.........HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg..........If your trying to delete old/disabled items from the list and are using XP........

I was wondering this also,I tried Chip's location to no avail.......So I did a lil' googling and found this location........I had like 10 items I didn't use or want and now it's all cleaned up  ;D
what link was that??
cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:37:06 pm »
l use Winpatrol, it's brilliant, not only does it show startup files, but it explains what the file is, and wether it's safe to remove. ;)

only prob is l had to buy Winpatrol pro for about $10. but i've used it for the last three years and it's been worth every penny/cent.
l't explains what every file is, and does. it's a bit of a drag going through cookies, but if there is anything hiding in there you will find it :)

gazu2k

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:44:15 am »
To disable most of the startup items that you do not want go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Back it up
Delete what's not needed
Reboot