Author Topic: Firefox 2 Beta 2  (Read 43557 times)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Firefox 2 Beta 2
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:52:47 am »
You can grab it here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-beta.html

Here is some information about it: http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/08/31/firefox-2-beta-2-milestone-released/

There has been massive improvements in stability and a slight UI update.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline danny251

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox 2 Beta 2
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:08:55 pm »
Yeah I tried it but the extensions didnt work so I quickly got rid :D

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 07:13:01 pm »
Yeah I tried it but the extensions didnt work so I quickly got rid :D

Really? Most my extentions work at this point. I'm really liking this edition of Firefox, there have always been lots of little bugs that have really annoyed me, but it has got rid of all of them.

Offline danny251

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 08:02:27 pm »
yeah none lol what little bugs did you notice have been fixed?

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 10:43:30 pm »
You can also click on updates located under the 'Help' tab in the Firefox browser.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:57:49 am »
yeah none lol what little bugs did you notice have been fixed?

Oh just bits and bobs like when you ave it set so links don't open windows, instead they open new tabs, when you click "Get more Extentions" it opens in a new Tab, not a new Window.

Apparently they fixed over 3300 bugs from Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 2.

dinner123

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:59:19 am »
Using this now, its v v nice. Took me a while to get the spell checking working because one of my extensions messed it up, but all is working fine now.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 12:18:25 am »
Firefox 2 Release Candidate 1 (RC 1) is now available for download.

Click there---> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:41 am »
Firefox 2 Release Candidate 2 (RC 2) is now available for download.

Click there---> http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 05:02:53 am »
I felt bad abandoning firefox at first, but ever since Opera has become completely free (the free version used to have banners) I just couldn't turn back.

I just get annoyed when using firefox now, Opera has waaay more features.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 05:31:27 am »
I felt bad abandoning firefox at first, but ever since Opera has become completely free (the free version used to have banners) I just couldn't turn back.

I just get annoyed when using firefox now, Opera has waaay more features.
I'm not going to get in to a browser arguement, I think Opera is a really good browser. But you do realise the point of Firefox is that there are very few features so you can just choose which ones you want to add?

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 08:15:40 am »
I know we're all stubborn and have our preferences. I like the idea of firefox extensions but there's just too many of them that do the same thing. I do use thunderbird as my main email client. Finding the right extension is a hassle, why not just download opera and have everything you need? Opera isn't bloated, it's still fast (starts up way faster than firefox*) and uses very little resources despite all the features it contains.

When I used firefox I never used the tabs because I thought they were weird. Opera's tabbing was the first browser I have ever used with tabs. The tabs make a lot more sense because each tab has it's own forward/back, etc buttons. It's a lot more intuitive and just makes a lot more sense. This is the main reason why I chose opera.

* = when I was using firefox, it was proven that it was the slowest loading browser. I don't know if they've improved it since then. Ever notice that firefox takes a while to open when you first double click it after booting up your computer?

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 09:49:03 am »
I understand there are a lot of pros and cons to both browsers, I'm just saying, you seem to be knocking Firefox for something which it was designed for in the first place.

Firefox has a few deep issues, including thread allocation and speed. Firefox 2 doesn't solve these, because essentially it's a polished off version of Firefox 1.5 (Hence why in the original naming system Firefox 1.5 was Firefox 1.1, this new one would have been Firefox 1.5). Firefox 3 on the other hand (the current 'trunk' build) goes a long way to solving all of them, I can't wait until that comes out. 

texasboy

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 10:40:07 am »
I understand there are a lot of pros and cons to both browsers, I'm just saying, you seem to be knocking Firefox for something which it was designed for in the first place.

Firefox has a few deep issues, including thread allocation and speed. Firefox 2 doesn't solve these, because essentially it's a polished off version of Firefox 1.5 (Hence why in the original naming system Firefox 1.5 was Firefox 1.1, this new one would have been Firefox 1.5). Firefox 3 on the other hand (the current 'trunk' build) goes a long way to solving all of them, I can't wait until that comes out. 

Again we are getting back to the old subject.  Why fix it whens its not broken. Firefox is just another competitor  trying to improve on what  MS does best. I have tried both and with constantly updating firefox, I got fed up and went back to I.E.  Firefox has many nice features but its still only an alternative to the OS `s own operating features which are compatible to almost everything software manufacturers throw at it.
Software companies are out there to make money and unless someone comes up with with a better system than MS we are all wasting our time and perhaps money trying to improve on what we already have.
Designer labels are nice,but are they really worth the bother.??
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:24:23 pm »

Again we are getting back to the old subject.  Why fix it whens its not broken. Firefox is just another competitor  trying to improve on what  MS does best. I have tried both and with constantly updating firefox, I got fed up and went back to I.E.  Firefox has many nice features but its still only an alternative to the OS `s own operating features which are compatible to almost everything software manufacturers throw at it.
Software companies are out there to make money and unless someone comes up with with a better system than MS we are all wasting our time and perhaps money trying to improve on what we already have.
Designer labels are nice,but are they really worth the bother.??
cheers

The reason Firefox has become so popular is that IE didn't update itself for 5 years and was broken. Virus', pop-ups, trojans, worms, spyware and many other problems plagued IE. Firefox took a chunk of the market and forced Microsoft to respond, when IE7 comes out we will have 3 fairly good, very competitive browsers, which is a good thing.

Microsoft may have a monopoly on the desktop OS market, that shouldn't automatically entitle them to a monopoly in the Internet Browser market. When one company is let to rule the whole market, it often leads to a poor quality product.

If you got Firefox from version 1.00 and have been updating it since, you would have had to go through 14 updates by now. Compared to the amount of updates IE has had over the Windows Update site, this is minimal. Have you used Firefox 1.5+? It has streamlined the way you receive updates so you don't have to keep going and downloading the whole software over and over again.