Author Topic: Microsoft's new school  (Read 10448 times)

deckkeeper

Microsoft's new school
« on: September 09, 2006, 04:53:12 am »
From CNN.com:

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates has famously called high schools "obsolete" and warned about their effect on U.S. competitiveness. Now, his company has a chance to prove that it can help fix the woes of public education.

After three years of planning, the Microsoft Corp.-designed "School of the Future" opened its doors Thursday, a gleaming white modern facility looking out of place amid rows of ramshackle homes in a working-class West Philadelphia neighborhood.

The school is being touted as unlike any in the world, with not only a high-tech building -- students have digital lockers and teachers use interactive "smart boards" -- but also a learning process modeled on Microsoft's management techniques.

Read the rest off the article at http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/09/07/school.of.future.ap/index.html.

Sounds pretty cool. Heh, lucky kids.

bosoxfan

Re: Microsoft's new school
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:02:23 pm »
Well if this school is going to develop in a similar way to the windows operating system..good luck to the kids

kyopedlr

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 01:33:52 pm »
there will be service packets sent out to "patch" these kids everyday... the problem will be the drinking and the drugs

-kyopedlr

MinLo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 04:12:53 pm »
Why doesn't Bill talk to MTV and make it a reality tv show?????

One question is school dismissed if the eletricity goes out????

Offline bigdaveangell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 04:30:49 pm »

Good question

Even though I really dont like microsoft very much this sounds like a great school to go to. Anyone think that they might have problems with things disapearing from the school

<a href="http://www.l33tsig.net/" title="L33TSig">bigdaveangell's L33TSig[/url]

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:56:44 am »

Good question

Even though I really dont like microsoft very much this sounds like a great school to go to. Anyone think that they might have problems with things disapearing from the school
Never mind the the school. Can you imagine 40 students walking home with state of the art laptops over their shoulders. Lot of drugs for one laptop. ::)
cheers

jeannibordelli

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:44:59 pm »
I would be interested to go to that school - finally - yes, finally
In the end, I've had a very good relation with Microsoft-products...sometimes it crashes, sometimes it needs a little regedit, sometimes you don't know the problem and you stay awake until 4 in the morning, sometimes you cry when a virus has attacted your system, but most of the time my experience with Microsoft is getting better.
So ... enough emo for today :-p

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:46:28 am »
Sounds like a cool school, to be honest not much different from my old high school though. We have a Smaart Board and projector in every classroom, and high end computers everywhere. No digital lockers but overall we have a good "advanced technology" feel, maybe because we have no girls.

chadamir

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:54:23 am »
This school will be very well endowed and allow a lot of kids a chance to get ahead in a field they might never have had a shot in.