RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Is Bit Che bleeding dry...?  (Read 7457 times)

devnullius

Is Bit Che bleeding dry...?
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:35:49 am »
Hello,

I'm a long time user and I always admired your filter system and the fair amount of relevant hits for a search. I installed Bit Che on all computers and told everyone how good life is with you and utorrent.

But... The last two months or so... All searches are hijacked by torrent sites, feeding results that are absolutely NOT relevant, not even for 1 word.

Are you giving up on the program? I can see the filters are still updated (for I get little <TAGS in my searches...), but the relevancy... Are you being boycotted by the torrent sites? Please tell me, so we can rescue what's left of our love ; ))

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ devnullius@googlewave.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
------
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-10 by DevNullius)

devnullius

Re: Is Bit Che bleeding dry...?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:40 am »
http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1721.0 - searching for "Vista SP2" gives far better with (the considered obsolete) program Torrent Harvester (still mirrored plentiful).

Thanx,

devnullius

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:22 am »
Interesting. I think that now torrents have become more widespread, the influx of phising sites and bogus trackers is inevitable. Bit Che is not to blame for what other sites are doing.

The move to private trackers will help remedy the situation. I suggest you find some open private trackers or find some friends with invites for private trackers. Bit Che is still compatible with a lot of private trackers if you enter the login info.

Also, if you find that particular trackers are giving you bogus sites in Bit Che, you can disable the scripts for the respective trackers on the script page.

I hope this helps you in your situation.

devnullius

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:31 am »
"the influx of phising sites and bogus trackers is inevitable. Bit Che is not to blame for what other sites are doing."

But... Isn't this something Bit Che decides on? Which sites are good and relevant, and which use phishing techniques? Didn't you notice anything? Is it just failing me for OS-related searches? : )

Thank you for the feedback, appreciated!

devnullius

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:50:33 am »
I only use genuine OSes, I haven't really noticed any other false torrents in Bit Che. Once in a while one or two pop up. Most of the scripts that Bit Che uses are still quite useful so we don't want to disable them by default. Instead we give the option for users to disable them manually. If you're having a problem with one or two specifically that are giving you a lot of bogus results then you can disable them yourself.

Another thing to keep in mind:
Lets say you search for Vista SP2, and you see a result that says "Full Download Vista SP2", then clearly that is a false result. If you see words in the result that you DID NOT include in the search result for example "Microsoft Windows Vista SP2" then there is a MUCH higher chance that it is the true result, and not a bot phishing the search string and formulating a false result.

Thanks for this insight and if we discover that there are indeed sites that are just completely loaded with crap, we may remove the scripts all together in a future script update release.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:52:25 am by Synbios »

devnullius

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:05 am »
I did some testing too - I felt bad : )

And indeed, most other (software) related searches work well enough. And much better than Torrent Harvester.
It really is limited to (almost) only searching for Windows XP Dutch or Vista SP2 etc. that really destroy the search results.

I'm not really into music or movies (I prefer streams from specialized sites), so I did not test those results.

If I showed you a few sites abusing injection and phishing techniques on a big scale; glad to have come nagging ; )

Thanks again for Bit Che - still the best way to search torrents...

Peace!

Devnullius

PS: good! tip on howto interpret keywords!