Author Topic: Firefox's add-on Firesheep.  (Read 12940 times)

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Firefox's add-on Firesheep.
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:24:03 am »
Appalling Danger If You Use Public Wifi

The next time you fire up your laptop or iPad in a coffee shop, beware. Someone may be watching you--more closely than you ever imagined. A Firefox add-on called Firesheep, just released a few days ago, allows anyone to see exactly what you're seeing on your computer--and even get full access to your Facebook, Amazon or Google account. It's high-tech hijacking.

Reports are that both Macs and PCs are vulnerable to the software that allows anyone to view and click on the screens of anyone else sharing the same network in a public place. Bottom line: If you use your laptop in Starbucks, you will automatically grant full access to anyone else in the place to everything you're doing.

"Not only can they see what you're doing, but if, for instance, you're on Facebook, they can literally click on your name and enter your Facebook account or Amazon account or Google account," says WTOP Tech Guy Gregg Stebben, "and in a sense, become you and begin to do things in your name." He adds, "I'm very leery (of public WiFi) and really we all should be."

Firesheep----> http://codebutler.com/firesheep

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Re: Firefox's add-on Firesheep.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »
I heard about this..very interesting!

If you're using public wifi, better use https!

lting77

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:34 am »
wow easier than using own wifi  as an access point

i stopped using firefox after the javascript exploit where it disable the 'save this password prompt yes, no, never'
prompt but still secretly saves all logins....

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:17:23 am »
wow easier than using own wifi  as an access point

i stopped using firefox after the javascript exploit where it disable the 'save this password prompt yes, no, never'
prompt but still secretly saves all logins....

The exploit is not in firefox itself. Firefox is simply used to read other's password information by using a plugin that exploits a vulnerability.

The exploit is for anybody using a free/pulblic ie. open wifi network and anybody who is entering information over HTTP and not HTTPS (SSL).