Author Topic: wireless printers  (Read 35178 times)

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
wireless printers
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:47:22 pm »
Hi, now that I`m starting to get the hang of this modern world, :D  I bought a new wireless printer. Extremely easy to set up for all pc`s in house. Bunged the printer into a closet and now we can all print from any pc in house when we want. Printer was very cheap and provides good copies and speed. No doubt there are more expensive models out there,but in todays age ink can come cheaply from many different sources.
Well pleased.
cheers

ps. Yes it was an HP. >:D
MAN U eat your heart out.
CHELSEA is here to sort your problems

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: wireless printers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35:51 pm »
I recently bought a new HP all -in -one Printer Tex. It cost me £50 from a local PC service shop. For the £50 they delivered it, installed it, and put it on my home network.
I bought it cos my son is doing an accountants course at college and needs a printer.
 My other printer cost three times as much. I had to pick it up and install it myself, it lasted about 12 months. All I have to do now is get him to pay towards it, but I'm not holding my breath [whatever]

[couchhide]

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:17 am »
Wireless...nothing like getting rid of all that spaghetti that seems to accumulate behind our pc's. Nice move Tex.

TheHalf™

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
 ;D Must get the brush out for all that spaghetti I missed.lol
Billy and I must have the same model of printer. Possible just a tad noisier than my regular Epsom model, but because its well out of human ear shot you dont even hear it. Even got an update today and almost missed the Chelsea score. Still another manchester team hammered,but who cares.lol.
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:49:11 am »
The best printer I ever bought was a brother HL-34D or something like that.

I get so annoyed with buying ink, so this was my first ever laser printer. I also got only the B&W model, which for the most part is all I need. The fact that the cartridge lasts years for me is pretty nice.

I used to have an HP photosmart printer and the damn thing took like 7 ink cartridges.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:28 am »
I used to work for Brother repairing their sewing machines, their factory is only about 3 miles from me. my printer is a HP deskjet 1050 Tex.  ;D

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:18:25 am »
The best printer I ever bought was a brother HL-34D or something like that.

I get so annoyed with buying ink, so this was my first ever laser printer. I also got only the B&W model, which for the most part is all I need. The fact that the cartridge lasts years for me is pretty nice.

I used to have an HP photosmart printer and the damn thing took like 7 ink cartridges.

You know Syn I also own a Brother 4 in one actually 7 in one MFC 420CN and it works for everything.

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:26 am »
I stood by HP for years, but their more recent models have pissed me off. The seem to suck ink like no other. My HP photosmart especially seemed to use all the color cartridges even when i set it to black only mode. I'm like what is going on? Plus some of the cartridges expire, and it doesn't even let you force to try to use it anyway because it "might damage your printer"...right.

An ink cartridge expires? Whaaat? And it only has a lifespan of a year or something like that?

I'm not going to waste my time...

My wireless printer for the family is an HP though, that one seems to work fine. It all depends on the model I guess; but after this first Brother purchase I've made, I'm going to stick with them from now on.

The brother printer takes RAM from laptops so I found an old 128 meg chip I had and it gave it quite the boost in performance. The stock memory of printers is pretty low like 8-16 MB or something. The brother is one of the fastest printers I've ever used at 34 ppm. Automatic duplexing as well (two-sided printing without manually swapping the paper). It never jams and never has that problem when you send a file to get printed but it just never prints, and then you try to delete it and it doesn't go away.

I'm using the parallel port and I find it a bit more reliable than USB, considering I have never had a problem with it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:55:22 am by Synbios »

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:43 am »
I used to work for Brother repairing their sewing machines, their factory is only about 3 miles from me. my printer is a HP deskjet 1050 Tex.  ;D

Billy are you sure of number? The hp 1050 doesn`t show up as wireless,Are you hooked up with usb from printer directly to back of your pc. Only £39.99 from Argos
Im using the hp 3050 all in one j610 series (£49.99) using wireless,but can also be set up to use  usb or both.
Maybe I read model wrong.
Anyway this is my first HP printer and seems pretty good for price.
cheers

ps. Mr Bouchet says you will have to upgrade. >:D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:43:29 am by chelseaman »

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:53 am »
Hopefully it doesn't eat through ink for lunch. I recommend printing with the lowest ink level as possible. Overall I think you made a good choice though I have a similar model (not sure which) and it has been pretty solid.

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:52:34 am »
You usually find that manufacturers inks are good but they will try everything to stop you buying from competiters. Most others have the electronic boards down exactly and and work excellent and more ink.

cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 06:56:34 am »
That's a good point so do you think it's better to just buy the regular HP branded ink and the cheapo generic brands and re-filling kits are a waste?

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
You usually find that manufacturers inks are good but they will try everything to stop you buying from competiters. Most others have the electronic boards down exactly and and work excellent and more ink.

cheers

????.....have you been at the JD again Tex....lol

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:38:49 am »

cheers

????.....have you been at the JD again Tex....lol
You forget I`m a senior citizen now. time is not important and actually on vodka tonight. ;D
Had some blood tests at doc`s this morning without eating. So first after to sainsburys to get a big fry eggs/bacon/sausages etc. keeps me up longer  >:D
So what about that printer?? (4 posts back)
cheers

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:25:05 pm »
if you guys are having good luck with your HP printers, thats excellent. they are finally starting to make some progress.. my thoughts below :)

Im using the hp 3050 all in one j610 series (£49.99) using wireless,but can also be set up to use  usb or both.

ah, HP... HP.... HPPPP...   i used to do professional computer tech work for 2+ years (where my time was billed by the minute), and no kidding, but 99% of our service calls for printer problems were for HP printers. They are cheap, and I will NOT buy one for a family member, as I have spent 150+ hours battling HP printers over the years, (compared to maybe 2 hours of battles for all other printers combined). and by battling, i do not mean installing/setting up/etc, I mean literally battling with the software, HP tech support, driver problems, etc.

now, here is the honest truth about HP:

1) their printers used to be great. after all, thats where HP came from.
2) at some point, they stopped investing in their software/drivers and focused only on selling the ink. quality of both the printers hardware AND the software took a dive. = both hardware/software probs.
3) they started improving their hardware to sell new printers with "more features", however, their software/drivers got worse, and the extra features, such as scanning, made the problem worse.
4) HP did not care about fixing the problems of printers they already sold, and only cared about selling printers to "new" costumers and trying to sell more "ink".. which, is how they make their money.
5) Now we had a few years of horrible software (mainly during the Vista era, where HP refused to invest their money in software development for the NEW platform)
6) Basically, brings us to present day: Their software install is huge bloatware (solution center, picture gallery, customer surveys, ink reminders, etc). HP Scanning is hit or miss via WIFI (this is the single biggest problem). If you have a problem with the software, GOOD luck trying to get it resolved (second biggest problem). However, the hardware is cheap, and Printing via WIFI generally works (although USB is still more reliable, even though printers like Canon never have issues with scanning or printing via WIFI).

ps,
7) HP laser printers have been, and continue to be, rock solid. Why? The software for lasers hasn't changed much over the years, and they keep improving the hardware. *Although, Brother B/W lasers are just as good, and cheaper.

You forget I`m a senior citizen now. time is not important and actually on vodka tonight. ;D

what kind? didnt know you were much of a vodka fan :)
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.