Author Topic: SUPERMOON  (Read 6750 times)

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
SUPERMOON
« on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:10 am »
It may not be faster than a speeding bullet, but tonight (March 19, 2011) the moon will make its closest approach to Earth in 18 years—making the so-called supermoon the biggest full moon in years.

The monthly full moon always looks like a big disk, but because its orbit is egg-shaped, there are times when the moon is at perigee—its shortest distance from Earth in the roughly monthlong lunar cycle—or at apogee, its farthest distance from Earth.

Likewise, because the size of the moon's orbit varies slightly, each perigee is not always the same distance away from Earth. Tonight's supermoon will be just 221,566 miles (356,577 kilometers) away from Earth. The last time the full moon approached so close to Earth was in 1993, according to NASA.

Though the supermoon will be about 20 percent brighter and 15 percent bigger than a regular full moon, the visual effect may be subtle, added Anthony Cook, astronomical observer for the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

Here's one of my favourite pics.

And here's a link to some really cool photos: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/beautiful-pictures-of-the-supermoon-from-around-th

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Re: SUPERMOON
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:09 am »
I saw the moon yesterday and it was so bright I could barely look at it. They said it was about 30% brighter in my area.

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:38 am »
I saw it yesterday and I got a sudden urge to howl, dunno why [rolleyes]

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:22:28 am »
I saw it yesterday and I got a sudden urge to howl, dunno why [rolleyes]

Oh thats only because you have seen gibbler's pic.

ThaHalf™