Author Topic: Firefox addon undoes U.S. Government domain seizures  (Read 10922 times)

Offline olddays1

• Convivea News Anchor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Firefox addon undoes U.S. Government domain seizures
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:54 am »
 The seizure of file-sharing related domain names by the US Government hasn’t been as effective as the entertainment industries had hoped since many of them simply continued their operations under new domains. To make these type of domain transitions go more smoothly, an anonymous group has coded a simple Firefox add-on that automatically redirects users to these new homes. more.........

http://torrentfreak.com/firefox-add-on-undoes-u-s-government-domain-seizures-110414/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Re: Firefox addon undoes U.S. Government domain seizures
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:09:44 am »
Nice find olddays1 and what I equally like to the article is this post from MAFIAAFireis:

"Imagine if most of the p2p sites encourage their visitors to download our plug-in... COICO would be almost useless and if it still passes: can someone say dinosaurs?

COICO is also a US law, they cannot take secondary domains if it does not fall on .com/net/org

To take away your "concerns", don't worry: we are prepared. Our plug-in will work even without our .COM domain, and will infact redirect anyone who downloads our plugin to the correct site... including MAFIAAFire."

I'm also going to post a link to said Plug-in there--->http://convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=1141.0

TheHalf™

Offline olddays1

• Convivea News Anchor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:05:33 am »
   Homeland Security’s ICE unit is not happy with a Firefox add-on that allows the public to circumvent the domains seizures carried out during the past several months. In an attempt to correct this ‘vulnerability’ in their anti-piracy strategy, ICE have asked Mozilla to pull the add-on from their site. Unfortunately for them Mozilla denied the request, arguing that this type of censorship may threaten the open Internet.

more....http://torrentfreak.com/homeland-security-wants-mozilla-to-pull-domain-seizure-add-on-110505/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:13:59 pm »
From the site...“Hats off to Mozilla for sticking up to them, at first we weren’t sure if Mozilla would even host it due to its controversial nature, but they truly backed up their open source supporting words with actions,”

GOOD!

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
The open-source Mozilla project said Thursday it won't comply with a U.S. Department of Homeland Security request to remove a Firefox add-on that helps redirect Web traffic for sites that have been seized by the government.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20110505/tc_pcworld/mozilladefiesdhswillnotremovemafiaafireaddon

What do you guys think? Is it good that mozilla is helping to support freedom of speech/content on the internet? Or do you think they're aiding in illegal activity by assisting in circumventing what was previously done by the law?

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:53 am »
Hey Syn this topic was started not to long ago in the P2P thread, so I merged them.

Now back to your post I do believe Mozilla had it correct from a previous news article that if the paperwork doesn't jive or have substance to validate the removal of the add-on then Mozilla wasn't going to do so.

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:57:45 am »
Go figure, olddays beats me to it again.