RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Help with .pdf files  (Read 9186 times)

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Help with .pdf files
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:22 am »
I need to know how I can convert a .pdf file (or any image file) to a file that is keyboard accessible.

Let me explain, say I have a questionaire and it is questionaire.pdf, now in order for me to complete said questionaire I would need to print it. How can I open that questionaire and fill in the fields with my keyboard just like I am typing this thread?

I want to save the questionaire (actually a blank invoice) to my desktop and access it anytime, type in the fields and then print. The actual blank invoice will always remain on my desktop until needed again.

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Re: Help with .pdf files
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:41:42 am »
.PDF stands for portable document format, hence it is published. Most .PDFs are designed to be printed and filled out, in order to avoid people from tinkering with them like a word document file. Unless there are specific form fields originally created by the person who made the .PDF in the first place.

Did you create the .PDF or are you using somebody else's? If you created the .PDF you can use Adobe Framemaker or Acrobat professional to edit the document. If it is somebody else's, you can try editing it with these programs as well (they are not free, like the Acrobat reader only), you may not be able to edit them though, if they are locked or officially published.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:01:54 am »
No it's not someone elses what it is is a billing invoice (blank) and whenever I need to fill in the required fields I don't want to print out the document and hand-complete the form everytime. Think of it as using Excel (which I have little to no knowledge of using).  [trapped]

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:44 am »
What are you using to generate the billing invoices? You will need Acrobat or FrameMaker in order to make the fields modifiable fields. There may be free solutions or alternatives but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:11:06 am »
I downloaded a trial version of FrameMaker but haven't installed it yet. I'm gonna do some research on this and see if it will remedy my dilemma.

Syn. do you have any experience with FrameMaker?

TheHalf™

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:13:23 am »
Unfortunately not, I just know of their existence but I've never had to use them.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:42:11 am »
To finalize this topic, I imported the document to Excel and everything is smooth. Now I'm going to learn the whole Office pack. Locking this topic.

TheHalf™