Author Topic: dvd rom  (Read 11560 times)

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
dvd rom
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
Does having two identical dvd-rw players in my PC tower conflict??
I can play cd's/dvd's on both, but i cannot write to them. I went into device manager, no problems and it couldn't find better drivers than I got. I unistalled both, rebooted, Widows XP found them, but didn't install them as far as I know.
My tower was given to me full of problems, I formatted, and installed XP pro with my Windows Genuine Advantage Kit, which I have used many times successfully. I could install other cd/dvd writers that I have, but it seems strange that both writers have the same problem.

perhaps Chelseaman might get off his lazy ass, put his glass of JD down and address this problem, but I'm not holding my breath ::)

[couchhide] :D

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Re: dvd rom
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:37:48 am »
I can play cd's/dvd's on both, but i cannot write to them. I went into device manager, no problems and it couldn't find better drivers than I got. I unistalled both, rebooted, Widows XP found them, but didn't install them as far as I know.
My tower was given to me full of problems, I formatted, and installed XP pro with my Windows Genuine Advantage Kit, which I have used many times successfully. I could install other cd/dvd writers that I have, but it seems strange that both writers have the same problem.

perhaps Chelseaman might get off his lazy ass, put his glass of JD down and address this problem, but I'm not holding my breath ::)

I'm thinking there both on an IDE controller and you have one optical drive as master and one as slave/cable select, also what software are you using to burn cd/dvd's?

TheHalf™

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:42:35 am »
 ;D Good morning,billy,hic!
What are the brands of rw,what speed. Were did you connect units inside pc ? Are you using ide ribbons or sata connections,master/slave etc.
Any more info. Sounds like you installed ok and something simple may be the answer.
cheers

Are there jumpers on DVD drives? If so check that they are set to the ide cable configuration ie. Master/Slave.
What disks are you trying to use to write to.?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:30:07 am by chelseaman »
MAN U eat your heart out.
CHELSEA is here to sort your problems

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:20 pm »

Billy must be still hiding >:D

cheers

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:31 am »
Sorry guys been busy, thanx for yer replies. I took the two dvd rom's out put my spare two in, Windows found and installed them, they are working fine. The jumpers on the old two were set properly at master and slave. The IDE was connected properly.
Another strange thing happened when I first tried the new ones, I right cliked on the slave dvd rom and instead of the box appearing I got a box saying 'my computer is not responding' same happened with the other one, then I got another box saying 'your computer is not protected' my antivirus icons had disappeared from my desktop, I had to go in program files to reinstall it.
Before all this I had been trying to install photo editing software both Corel and Adobe from Bit Che and Btjunkie so you can imagine I had a lot of shit on my PC. I have now cleared it all.

I d/l Corel Paintshop pro because I have the genuine purchase key and activation code.It wouldn't accept them. dunno when I bought it but it was a few years ago.
I d/l Adobe CS2. I also had the seriel number (cracked) that wouldn't work either. both these programs worked before with those details or I wouldn't have recorded them in my book.

anyway, as I said I've cleared the lot off, so I'm still looking for photo editing software. My mate John says he will copy an activated photoshop 6 for me on a DVD.

I'm sure I can hear a faint snoring from Ireland...perhaps Chelseaman has fallen asleep AGAIN!!

[clap] wake up Tex.....lol

Offline chelseaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »
 ;D  Good to see billy has come to life.
With all those extra DVD RW`s he must have just got back from "Bargain Hunt" (our local antique tv show).
Would have to point out that I live in the UK not Ireland ::)

Keep up the great work billy, glad you got sorted. Stay away from Shout Box as it seems a favourite for Admin to vent their frustrations. [oops]

cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:03:53 am »
I haven't used master and slave assignments in a long time. When I was using IDE cables I would do cable select. With SATA I haven't used PATA in years though.