RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: A new use for frequent flyer miles  (Read 6993 times)

deckkeeper

A new use for frequent flyer miles
« on: September 30, 2006, 07:27:52 am »
Source: United Press International
LONDON, Sept. 29 (UPI) -- A London man has become the first person to exchange his frequent flier miles for a trip into space with Virgin Galactic.

Electrician Alan Watts said he flew to and from the United States on Virgin Atlantic flights more than 40 times in the past six years, earning him enough miles to take the trip into space with Virgin's space wing, London's The Sun newspaper reported Friday. The trip cost 2 million frequent flier miles, compared to the 90,000 miles required for a first-class flight from London to New York.

Watts said his daughter convinced him to sign up for the trip, scheduled for 2009.

"My daughter said to me 'if nothing else think about the view you would get out of the window,'" he told The Sun.

"I'm glad I decided to do it -- I would be kicking myself if I didn't. It really is a once in a lifetime experience. The more I think about it the more I get excited."

Virgin Galactic, which expects to begin flights in 2008, has been building five spaceships and two aircraft for its planned voyages, which will last 2 1/2 hours and include five minutes in zero gravity. Tickets cost nearly $200,000 each.

That has got to be one of the craziest things I've heard in a while. Crazy awesome.

texasboy

Re: A new use for frequent flyer miles
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:18:12 am »
Once in a lifetime chance to be different. Would give my right arm to be able to try this trip. At my age it wouldnt matter if the damn thing crashed into the moon . What a way to go.!!!!
cheers

murph_dogg

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 08:58:43 am »
only 5 minutes... that would go by pretty fast for that price i think i would want a little longer, although it would still be cool.

kujo

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 02:55:56 am »
lucky bastard, though I'm not sure if I'd do the same thing, havent seen enough of our planet to want to leave it just yet. Would've kept them for flying to every country... ever...