RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Details bug in Update  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
Details bug in Update
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
Yes I'm aware most people wont even notice it.

When you start Bit Che and there are updates available if you click details it only shows one of the updates even if there is more than one this is confirmed if you click details after the update has finished.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Re: Details bug in Update
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:43:24 am »
Its actually by design. I guess the update message should read something like.. last update changes (but you may have other changes)

What happens is the script pack has a CRC32 hash and description of the change from github that is saved to the update check. Then Bit Che checks if this CRC32 is different than the last fetched download stored on the PC and displays the notice plus the description of the last update. If you proceed with the update, the full new script pack is downloaded and then Bit Che itself performs the reconciliation of what has changed.  

So, there actually isn't an easy way to improve this without a whole new update design which would have to increase server precessing and/or bandwidth. One idea would be to show the changes after the script pack is downloaded but before its applied but then again, the first update Details message would only show the last github change.

Thoughts?
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:09 am »
Do away with the details buttons just display the details on the second dialogue when the download has finished seems the logical way to go.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:22:36 pm »
for now, i think im going display the last 5 script pack updates in the details prior to downloading the new script pack..  i like being able to know what changes have happened (even if older updates are already applied).. i think that scenario is slightly better than waiting until the new script pack is applied to find out what changed..
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.