Author Topic: Bit Che and uTorrent integration...  (Read 21675 times)

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
Bit Che and uTorrent integration...
« on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:18 pm »
well.. I was bored so I unpacked and decompiled uTorrent and then patched it so that uTorrent's little search box triggers Bit Che instead of the web based search..   anyone else think they might like to see integration like that in the future? I should probably talk to the guys over at the uT camp first though.. hmm.. anyone know anyone? ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:49:32 pm by chip! »
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

deckkeeper

Re: Bit Che and uTorrent integration...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:48:44 pm »
That could be really cool. Go for it!

Offline sabnorton

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:58:17 pm »
Yes, you better check with the developer's team, because I just read in the FAQ that they had no intention to allow plugins :
http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Does_.C2.B5Torrent_have_a_plugin_system.3F

But I'm sure they'll find a way, cause these two really are made to work together.

The best would be to allow the user to replace the engines with Bit Che.
At the least, Bit Che could be added to the list of Seach Engines, (at the top...)

Sab

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 12:05:40 am »
uTorrent is a really cool program, but the developers really haven't heard of the concept of working with their users. I have had a nightmare trying to liaise with them or talking about bugs in their programs.

So don't know how much help they will give you.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

savaden

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:49:44 am »
I frequent the µTorrent forums quite often, mostly designing toolbars and such(under names savaden or BloodStaindHurricane), so if I see this topic on the forums over there I'll be sure to voice my opinion on it. I think its a great idea, chip!

mojo

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:47:37 am »
Since utorrent will open automatically once you find the torrent I see no need for the integration. I just open Bit Che do my search and double click what I want. No need for more code to make it work the other way around. I would spend the time on adding more scripts to search more sites.

Awesome program. Hopefully it stays small, light, and fast.

Mojo

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:46 am »
mojo.. you bring up an excellent point..  why would anyone want to launch a search from uTorrent? when in the world would you have uTorrent open and not bit che? and even if you closed bit che because your torrents are downloading in the background, its all the same just to click open bit che and search than to click open uTorrent and search from there...??? right??

so unless anyone has other really strong feelings about this, i'm not going to pursue this any further for the time being..

thanks mojo, and welcome to the forums :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:04:51 am by chip! »

Offline Exoskeletor

• Live And Let Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 07:31:59 pm »
yes but a lot of people are going to learn about bit che if it is inside utorrent and this is good. im posting into their forum some times. i think you should talk to them :)

Offline sabnorton

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 03:04:56 am »
Exoskeletor has a point and I guess we're precising the true question behind: fame and distribution of Bit Che.

As easy it is to create a Bit Che plugin for Firefox, there probably is no problem in doing an integration with utorrent.

And we all agree in this forum, as convinced Bit Che users, that these integrations or plugins would not bring anything more to us.

But for newbies that are still searching Torrents one at a time on Torrent sites, an integration with major and more famous products like Firefox (via their plugins website) or utorrent (very popular) would help Bit Che's carreer.

So chip, what do you really want for you baby? And for yourself?

Sab

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 06:51:58 pm »
i'm not sure really.. I keep going back and forth on this.. I dont want to bloat Bit Che with anything that most people wouldnt use...

so, if I do end up creating any plugins or whatnot, they definitely will not be with the standard Bit Che package..

I suppose I could just create the command line flags feature for BC, and then that would allow almost any browser/program search box to launch BC with a predefined bcs:// hyperlink or something. just thinking out loud here.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:31:39 am »
I start up BitChe first and then let that open uTorrent once I find the torrent.

BUT..after uTorrent is already running, and I want to download another file, I think it would be more convenient to just open uTorrent and search in there than the have to go back and open BitChe again.

I think it would be pretty neat.

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 08:49:17 am »
Well, I can implement a URI Scheme such as "bcs://" so that you can add an entry to your uTorrent search list, and thus easily launch Bit Che from uTorrent without needing anything else, but I find it very annoying that uTorrent launches an 'ad' frame for any search queries.. and then in the case of launching BC, you'll have an open browser with an ad frame along with Bit Che..

on the other hand, I have patched uTorrent to not launch the ad frame, except then you can no longer use any of the other search  engines in uTorrent other than BC (i guess you wouldnt need these anyway)...

hmm.