Author Topic: GeForce 8800GTX Performance  (Read 42029 times)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
Re: GeForce 8800GTX Performance
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:25 pm »
Wow, that sure is a lot of money to pay for gaming?
Ok so say you did everything legally, if you include the price of the game(s) and the graphics cards + any other performance mods to be able to play it, it it worthwhile? Lol you'll probably say yes, which if you enjoy it I always say do it.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 09:44:03 pm »
Wow, that sure is a lot of money to pay for gaming?
Ok so say you did everything legally, if you include the price of the game(s) and the graphics cards + any other performance mods to be able to play it, it it worthwhile? Lol you'll probably say yes, which if you enjoy it I always say do it.

Well look at this way,

PS3 + Good 1080p TV (1920 x 1080) + Games is approximately £2000

Gaming PC (8800 + Core 2 Duo) + Good Monitor (1920 x 1200) + Games is approximately is approximately £1800

You can do more with a PC, you can be productive, you can easily browse the internet, with fully working features like an AJAX enabled browser. You can run an OS without having to working about the nightmare of trying to optimise it for an asymmetric CPU etc.. etc..

So comparatively is it worth it? I'd say so.

Is it worth it to you as a person and your needs? For most people, no.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19:33 am »
;D Is there a graphics card that can??
cheers

lol, well maybe one of the R600 models, but AMD haven't released them yet, so never mind lol.

;D For that you get a long awaited karma point.lol
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 07:28:23 pm »

Well look at this way,

Gaming PC (8800 + Core 2 Duo) + Good Monitor (1920 x 1200) + Games is approximately is approximately £1800

You can do more with a PC, you can be productive, you can easily browse the internet, with fully working features like an AJAX enabled browser. You can run an OS without having to working about the nightmare of trying to optimise it for an asymmetric CPU etc.. etc..

Yes but what I said was "if you include the price of the game(s) and the graphics cards + any other performance mods to be able to play"

So what I'm saying is, you can run the game on a pretty good machine, and it means you can do all sorts of other stuff on it, etc. But this graphics card, which would be a crazy price, since you say it's only use would be for games, would it really be worth buying just to get a good setting in a game?

Just as a note, I would also say that you would buy a high def TV for movies rather than a PS3, and a PS3 is just about the most over priced piece of hardware for what you get. But all this is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:30:22 pm by TheNightWatchman »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 09:36:14 pm »

Well look at this way,

Yes but what I said was "if you include the price of the game(s) and the graphics cards + any other performance mods to be able to play"

So what I'm saying is, you can run the game on a pretty good machine, and it means you can do all sorts of other stuff on it, etc. But this graphics card, which would be a crazy price, since you say it's only use would be for games, would it really be worth buying just to get a good setting in a game?

Just as a note, I would also say that you would buy a high def TV for movies rather than a PS3, and a PS3 is just about the most over priced piece of hardware for what you get. But all this is just my opinion.

I see what you're getting at, and I agree for most people it's just not worth it. Though I watch high def stuff on my monitor and can't wait to get something that displays 1080p quite well.

I also certainly can't wait for the days that graphics cards do more than help with games, being how powerful GPUs are, I won't imagine it will be long till at least scientific software will be massively sped up by graphics cards.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 12:14:02 pm »
I just find watching TV and Movies on a computer not quite the same... it's probably because I only have a small monitor though. I was considering buying a 24" widescreen LCD similar to the ones I use at Uni but found a 30-ish inch High Def LCD TV was the same price...

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 09:42:52 pm »
I just find watching TV and Movies on a computer not quite the same... it's probably because I only have a small monitor though. I was considering buying a 24" widescreen LCD similar to the ones I use at Uni but found a 30-ish inch High Def LCD TV was the same price...

Yeah, I'm waiting for 24 inch, 1920 x 1200 monitors to come down to a reasonable price (i.e less than £300). I use a 19 inch CRT at the moment and find it fine for watching stuff.

cissie

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 12:51:01 pm »
Yes I am using a CRT 21" and its good for watching TV programs.  I sell a LCD TV with VGA plug at work, and it works well quite cheap for what it is, but still don't like them as a monitor.  Fine for having as a spare to take up on the roof to fix the aerial etc.. haha.. nice and light.