RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: vista compatibility  (Read 8200 times)

kujo

vista compatibility
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »
Anyone know anything solid about windows vistas compatability with previous windows software titles specfically games as I'm worried upgrading based on the net rumors would me that vast sections of my game libarry would be obsolete. Particularly concerned about half-life (1&2), fallout (1&2) and other XP tittles I may buy now. It would be unusual in light of history for vista to not be backwards compatible btu all these rumors are floating around the web about vista supporting DX10 which will not have much support for previous titles. At the moment, also due to paranoia I'm of the beleif that the only way to avoid this would be to install vista on a separet partition of the HD and keep running XP for games.

Has anyone heard from any credible sources any news on compatability planned for vista and DX10?

Cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: vista compatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:30:04 pm »
Well I've read a fair few benchmark sites test various games on Vista and not one of them didn't work, however there was usually a 20% drop in frame rate for the games.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

kujo

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:28:23 am »
Well I've read a fair few benchmark sites test various games on Vista and not one of them didn't work, however there was usually a 20% drop in frame rate for the games.

I've heard that for the majority of cases but reason I'm worried is because gamespot (which has a good reputation for this sort of thing) lists a fair few major titles that dont work (including battle field 2, half life 2 etc), Just wondering if there is a better list out there that has games dating back to HL 1 or fallout (circa 1998) or if it includes a set of potential patches to get the titles working if there is a problem

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 09:18:20 am »

I've heard that for the majority of cases but reason I'm worried is because gamespot (which has a good reputation for this sort of thing) lists a fair few major titles that dont work (including battle field 2, half life 2 etc), Just wondering if there is a better list out there that has games dating back to HL 1 or fallout (circa 1998) or if it includes a set of potential patches to get the titles working if there is a problem
Hi kujo,
You might get some ideas from here ref games. Just keep clicking on "continued" until you find your spot.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1972220,00.asp
Hope this helps.
cheers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:19:52 am by texasboy »