Author Topic: [MOVIE] No Country for Old Men  (Read 8625 times)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
[MOVIE] No Country for Old Men
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:39:57 pm »
Ok now this is tipped as the best picture winner at various awards in the coming months... I'm not so sure I would give it that much credit, but it's definitely interesting.

Breaking the top 20 of the IMDb Top 250 was enough for me to go and see this film, although I did feel that it was being robitically voted '10' rather than actually thought about, but hey I'm glad I saw it. The acting was superb, and the Coen brothers once again utilise their knowledge of 'the south' well, and use the outback Texas feel once again. The assassin (won't even try to spell his name) was a very interesting character and the tension was great... not too often I'm sitting on the edge of my seat with my heart pounding in the cinema these days, but when he's after someone, I certainly felt that way! The only critique I really have of this movie is the ending. I can understand why (for two reasons - one being that's how the novel ends) and it was interesting, I just felt that it came to a bit of an abrupt stop. Perhaps the dialogue could have been slowed and used as a voice over... or perhaps that's too cliché, anyway the "WHAT THE F" followed by nervous laughter in the cinema (yes I had some Fast and Furious lovers in that cinema too) shows that I wasn't the only one to think of the ending this way, but it's something to think about.

I haven't seen a movie in which the characters are developed as well as they are here in a while and for that I give it praise.

:)

Offline weenden

• out of work comedian
    • View Profile
Re: [MOVIE] No Country for Old Men
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:16:36 am »
ended kinda abruptly
its better to have money and not need it, then need money and not have it (which im affraid i follow doooh!)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:42:57 pm »
Most people seem to think that, but apparently they did it because it's the exact ending (to the last line) of the book.

morrisonhs

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:23:51 am »
The thing about No Country for Old Men, is that it isn't an action movie as much as it is a character study. The last line really does tell you whats going on. He tells a story about his dream of his father going ahead of him on a horse trail and setting a fire that he (Bell) will eventually reach. The last line "and then I woke up" emphasizes the futility of dreams in a world where the cowboy is dead, and the strongest, most invulnerable man can be taken out by a car in a neighborhood. It shows that the times we are living in follow the title.