RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Safest P2P Client  (Read 27010 times)

Prokoph

Safest P2P Client
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:38:09 pm »
I am an avid user of Bit Che and uTorrent, however, for those hard to find items or 1 offs, what is the safest P2P client to use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

bix06

Re: Safest P2P Client
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:12:22 pm »
there are many,

in my opinion,

1.) limewire  (pro)
2.) bearshare
3.) warez

but...   these might not be safe
maybe do some research on da net :D

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:06:31 am »
What do you mean by 'safe'?

I used to use Limewire and it is popular on here, but I use Ares now because there are too many fakes on Limewire.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:11 pm »
I use eMule Plus to download those hard to find files. It's a lot slower than most other P2P networks, but it gets you what you need more than anything else.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

relinquish

There's one new player on the block
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:40:11 pm »
Anybody heard of darknets? They're supposedly one of the safest ways of exchanging data online. Well, unlike traditional darknets, which were confined only to select friends and trusted associates, a new concept changes the need for such privacy. Brightnets, in contrast, are a distributed system where nobody breaks the law, so nobody needs to hide away.

An example of such a system (possibly the first), is a system called OFF, or the owner-free file system. (http://offsystem.sourceforge.net). Although the system is under heavy development, the concept is proven to work.

How does it work? Each client shares a series of 128kb "blocks", which are files filled with randomly chosen bits. These blocks are randomized when given a source file to share in the OFF system. Without the instructions to assemble these blocks, they are useless. Therefore, to download a file, one needs a special URL, similar to an ed2k URL, or a gnutella magnet URL. Every user sharing files on the network will create a unique URL for each file he is sharing.

So what does this all accomplish? Most importantly, the nodes on the network sharing bandwidth CANNOT be held responsible for copyright infringement, because they are not sharing copyrighted works. Somebody could argue that people sharing files on the OFF network are breaking the law when uploading blocks used to assemble copyrighted works, but this argument has no basis. Why? Because the blocks being shared do not in any way represent the original copyrighted work in question.

The system works, but as I mentioned above, is still under development and in heavy testing stages. The project only currently has one developer, and in order to be susteained and improved needs additional talented and competent C++ developers. If you would like to contribute, or have a question or suggestion, head on over to irc.p2pchat.net, #thebighack

All beta testers are welcome, and the client can be downloaded from http://offsystem.sourceforge.net

Note: The network is not bootstrapped right now, and there are very few (if any) online nodes. This is due to the fact that there were a few personal issues with the main developers and they were not able to contribute code for a while. This is why the project is in dire need of developers to help maintain the project.

Oh, and I run a wiki @ http://wiki.offdev.org.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 06:30:14 pm »
Any good/decent p2p client are all going to be equally "safe".

mr mister

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:10 am »
"mute" is very safe but very slow

drun7

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:58:50 pm »
Kazaa lite is full of crrap

montel

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:15:43 pm »
Kazaa lite is full of crrap
not only that, its dead >:(
The last time I tried it recently, every node I connected to was no good - all checked error.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 03:31:05 am »
There is a version called Klite Pro or something that is a copy of Shareaza. Still works, but you're probably better off just using the real Shareaza

surfer

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:54:42 am »
i know the original author has long migrated but i use Vuze, utorrent and Frostwire.  My favorite is Frostwire for these 2 reasons:

1. you can preview/watch the movies as you d/l (i wait till 1% arrives) and judge the quality
2. even from the search results a right_click>advanced>lookup file with bitzi http://bitzi.com/about/intro will compare the files digital fingerprint with a large online database of good, bad and fake torrents.

if anyone know of other native BT clients that support those features let me know 

latuyenliet

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:16 pm »
i'm using emule and its work fine for me
try it

Offline CountZero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 07:05:14 am »
heh its a wonder no one mentioned "sneaker net"

MinLo

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 08:11:48 am »
The only thing you can consider 100% safe is unpublicized file transfers amongst friends/family.....But it is only as safe as how discreet it is held.....

All the methods for private networks that were public when I was still downloading had alot of kinks or lack of peers still.....

I would also say newsgroups is the safest method of publicized P2P, but Bovoski or other senior members would have more insight than me ......I don't really P2P anymore so alot of things could have changed for better or worse.....lol

If you look at odds of getting caught by anyone you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting caught and punished for P2P, I would assume.......I know there was an article years back on Slyck stating that u have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting caught and punished for file sharing, but again I haven't p2p for 2 yrs due to not having available time.....

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:53 am »
Safest p2p are highly privatized (invite only) torrent sites, with forced encryption on your torrent client, and if you feel like paying, a fast proxy server (since most free ones are too slow for decent p2p).