Author Topic: Most Overrated Movie Ever  (Read 83301 times)

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Most Overrated Movie Ever
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:25:08 pm »
The Boondock Saints.

I've seen this movie and I think it's pretty good. I don't understand why everyone has this listed in their favorite movies on myspace/facebook. This is probably the most common favorite movie of recent years.

What is so good about it? It looked just like an average movie to me.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
Re: Most Overrated Movie Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »
Probably going to get a lot of dirty looks, but in the event of that happening I will post this anyway.

Personally I think the most overrated movie is Platoon. I just didn't think it was anything close to the hype.

Anyway I've never actually heard of The Boondock Saints??

chadamir

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:00:58 am »
Without a doubt donnie darko.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:10:19 pm »
Haha, I quite liked that film, it's very deep and so many messages are missed on first viewing and I can understand how you would say it's overrated. In fact I think it is overrated against the amount of hype it has.

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:56:18 am »
Without a doubt donnie darko.

Donnie Darko is definitely another highly overrated one. I thought it was a great movie but why are people so obssesed with it!?

kujo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:29:53 pm »
I'm gonna go with sin cities on this one... hyped up so much but visual flare aside it was mediocre

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:38:06 am »
I'm gonna go with sin cities on this one... hyped up so much but visual flare aside it was mediocre

haha.

When this movie was brought out I thought no one would understand it. I thought everyones reaction would be exactly like yours, so although I will not agree with you, it's fully justified.

Two words: Film Noir

Offline bigdaveangell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:36:03 pm »
The Boondock Saints.

I've seen this movie and I think it's pretty good. I don't understand why everyone has this listed in their favorite movies on myspace/facebook. This is probably the most common favorite movie of recent years.

What is so good about it? It looked just like an average movie to me.

I cant believe you said that. Boondock Saints is my favorite movie.

<a href="http://www.l33tsig.net/" title="L33TSig">bigdaveangell's L33TSig[/url]

Offline MrPook

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 06:17:23 am »
most overrated : no doubt : apocalypto (just one question, if it wasnt mel g. would pple liked it ?)

trrntgrl

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 07:23:00 am »
oh puhleeeeze...the most over rated movie of all time was The English Patient....even Seinfeld made a joke of it!

kujo

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:43:22 pm »

haha.

When this movie was brought out I thought no one would understand it. I thought everyones reaction would be exactly like yours, so although I will not agree with you, it's fully justified.

Two words: Film Noir

Nah I didnt say that just because it was film noir though I'm biased because I'm not a massive film noir fan, but because I just didnt find it merited all the hype, a good film that I own on dvd but wouldn't say it was one of the best I'd ever seen despite it being probably as good an example of film noir as you have been able to get in recent years though I'm the guy that would tell you 'Road to perdition' is 'film noir' and a good movie too.... which I guess raises the issue what is film noir exactly?

Another one I thought was 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' is another movie I would have said is grossly overated, good + fun to watch but I was slightly dissapointed after all the hype.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 12:53:05 pm »
Road to Perdition I would say is more of a Drama than anything. Film-Noir comes from films that are black and white (hence noir) and made for low budgets post depression. They have high levels of crime and corruption and use interesting cinematography and low key lighting so that heavy black and white visuals are displayed rather than grey. Almost always follows a main character who narrates everything as he goes, including his feeling of current situations (what I love about it).

Technically 'film-noir' stopped in the mid 60s but I don't like the term 'neo-noir' (New Film Noir) because it's too broad -- anything affected by Film-Noir is given the genre e.g. Pulp Fiction.

Hmm I guess I could have said Wikipedia gives a good explanation far better than I could haha so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

kujo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:37 pm »
So stictly speaking film noir has to be back and white and narrated by the main character?

Originally I assumed it was just meant to reflect a particular crime preiod (around 1940s), have a murder(s) central to the plot and be set in a gritty urban setting with gangsters involved, hence I thought Road to Perdition was film noir .. the wikipedia article was good but eneded up confusing me even more (blade runner and pulp fiction film noir???).... I'm guessing its 'neo-noir' ???

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:04:48 pm »
Yes basically any movie made after the 60s with influences of Film-Noir become a sub-genre 'neo-noir'. Neo-noir is a very fuzzy genre and doesn't really exist (you wouldn't go to the video store and have a neo-noir section).

The things you mention that are in Road to Perdition usually do occur in Film-Noir but without the black and white, the visuals and the voice over it's not the same. Although Road to Perdition was based on a similar style comic I believe, which makes it a neo-noir (yes it gets rather stupid doesn't it). That's why it has themes which are very film-noir-esk.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:08:03 pm by TheNightWatchman »

RadDaveâ„¢

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 02:34:31 pm »
while the topic has shifted a little bit i am going to throw this tidbit in...

as for film noir, everyone who is a fan of the genre must see the film "Brick"... it is an excellent piece.