Author Topic: Firewall Software  (Read 56162 times)

forwhat84

Firewall Software
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:09:52 am »
Firewall Software
If you have anything else that you would like to add to this list, please reply to this thread.

texasboy

Re: Firewall Software
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:26:19 am »
Firewall Software
If you have anything else that you would like to add to this list, please reply to this thread.

Again I say, why do you need any of these.
If you run a Nividea card it comes with firewall, add Zone Alarm free, and your up to date.. Most of these software firewall programmes are only about making money. MS firewall ,not needed, If you have a decent AntibVirus running then why pay for any of these firewalls.?
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:28:24 am »
A router is your best firewall, don't need anything wasting your CPU usage or your hard drive  :D
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:54:16 am »
A router is your best firewall, don't need anything wasting your CPU usage or your hard drive  :D
Agreed Quantum, Too many programmes out there trying to get our money..
cheers

MinLo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:07:17 pm »
All your links are garbage, not the software but the actual link...Including in your other 3 post's..... you didn't put your links in properly when you posted it......please fix otherwise I'll do it if I ever get time.......
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:15:58 pm by MinLo »

pakodj

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:09:18 am »
"Missione Internet Sicuro!" è ufficialmente partita nelle scuole di tutta Italia. Il nuovo progetto già annunciato e oggi finalmente operativo è stato voluto da Unicef Italia e Microsoft Italia in collaborazione con la Polizia di Stato e la Polizia Postale e delle Comunicazioni, con il patrocinio del ministero per le Politiche della famiglia. L'iniziativa è rivolta a 1.000 scuole, ai loro insegnanti e genitori, attraverso due distinte fasi di sviluppo: una didattica, che si svolgerà direttamente in classe, l'altra di partecipazione a un concorso, cui sarà possibile accedere online.
L'obiettivo è insegnare ai più piccoli come usare senza pericolo e in modo produttivo le nuove tecnologie e internet. Senza incorrere in malintenzionati pedofili. "Vogliamo fare informazione e formazione tra i giovani e tra gli educatori, sia genitori che insegnanti"

Joemama1960

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:10:29 pm »
Hello. I'm alse new to Bit Che. I can't seem to get Windows OneCare Live to recognise Bit Che and allow it to access the internet. Anyone out there with the same problem or a solution? I'd appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE help! Everyone has opinions on firewalls and other programs! Thanks guys!

LesStrater

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:16 am »
I agree.  And sometimes you don't even need the router.  My 2Wire DSL modem has an excellent firewall built into it, so I don't need to run any additional software, including the Windows firewall.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 09:09:37 am »
Hello. I'm alse new to Bit Che. I can't seem to get Windows OneCare Live to recognise Bit Che and allow it to access the internet. Anyone out there with the same problem or a solution? I'd appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE help! Everyone has opinions on firewalls and other programs! Thanks guys!

I'd post a separate topic about this, I've never encountered this issue.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 07:38:18 am »

Windows One Care will not run with an other Antivirus program. You will have to decide which one you want to use. Also check the Phishing settings and disable as necessary. Pls let us know .
cheers

Exous

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:04:46 am »
I prefer a good router, but when it comes to a firewall or full security kit that doesn't take too much of your resources I don't advice Norton (also because it's like a 300 MB install I think), Zone Alarm on the other hand is small, quick and effective, not to say not too high in using your resources.
I myself game alot so I prefer as less resource draining applications as possible, so I got the mixture of AVG free and Router firewall, makes my PC alot faster  ;D

RiffRaff

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 04:23:53 am »
I bought Zonealarm (Antivirus and Firewall) It ran like a dream for about 3 month.   Then crashed my computer over and over.
No help from ZoneAlarm, they said I had something on my computer causing ZoneAlarm to crash.  :(

Now I've got Avast and Windows Firewall.

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 02:03:19 pm »
Firewall Software and Firewall Routers with VPN Endpoint are both a good starting point "because" if someone is pretty good at hacking  ::) and hell bent on getting inside they can and will, especially from countries such as China, Uruguay, Venezuela and alike even Russia have people hackin all day emune from US laws. So my best solution is lock-out IP address groups ie:  24.232.0.0 thru 24.232.255.255, 61.48.0.0 thru 61.48.255.255, 62.62.128.0 thru 62.62.144.255, 80.15.37.0 thru 80.15.37.255 got the idea, if you have problems in a certain area and you don't go there "lock-um out". I kinda have compiled a list from the past 8 years of touchie spots of the world but it can have some limitatons but not many.  ;D

moggy

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:13:42 am »
I use 2 dlink routers and Nod32 3.0.642.0    antivirus  spywareblaster 4.0 and hyperos runiing tinyxp pro rev6. and all my browsing is sandboxed .

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:55:26 am »
I use 2 dlink routers and Nod32 3.0.642.0    antivirus  spywareblaster 4.0 and hyperos runiing tinyxp pro rev6. and all my browsing is sandboxed .

Sandboxing is a great way to stop most all hacking. Just remember to check your firewall reports every once in a while to see if anything is trying to get inside past what you have set up, most firewalls keep the information recorded but won't display whats happening by program defaults. If you see a IP address that looks fishy check it out a good tool for look-up is DNSstuff and its free. (I also use this sometimes on my torrent client you would be surprised where some files are located)  ;D

http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php?ptype=free

Hope the link works for you