Author Topic: proxy support ?  (Read 13802 times)

urgno

proxy support ?
« on: January 21, 2007, 10:09:17 pm »
hi,
first of all, my compliments for this fantastic software !
very very useful and well done  ...

would ask if sometime will be added proxy support ?

thanks in advance  8)

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
Re: proxy support ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:15:49 am »
Why ?

Would probably be a pain to implement as part of some private sites security is IP based so it would have to be on a site by site basis so all the config files would need to be setup for it also it would need to be in the settings for each site.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:34:23 pm by Bovski »

Offline chip!

• Bad Ass
  • Administrator
  • Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:29:20 am »
yeah... do any BitTorrent clients support Proxy's? I dont know off hand, but while I already have code for working with SOCKs proxy, this does seem a bit unneeded... if you're worried about not being anonymous, then you shouldnt be using BitTorrent, unless you're only using private sites, in which case, you're most likely not going to be able to use a proxy =/

but just for my information, what kind of proxy server support are you requesting?
  -  https://convivea.com  -   And...  boom goes the dynamite.

urgno

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 12:40:13 am »
something like this (look at the image of utorrent proxy config)

for clarification, it make me feel better to use the connection to traker (that is in clear http) using a proxy like JAP
and accept only ecrypted connections to the bt client (RC-160 like utorrent or azureus)

so, if someone sniff my connection, it only see a bunch of ecrypted data flowing in and out  ::)

cya  8)

Rarst

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:07:09 am »
Encryption used in torrents is only to prevent shaping of torrent traffic by ISP. It's totally useless for anything else like privacy.

No one is going to sniff torrent traffic, because it's enough to connect to tracker and start logging IPs. btw encryption used is weakest possible (to not create burden on computers) so if someone really wants to sniff it - being encrypted hardly saves that traffic from it.

It's impossible to use torrent anonymously, it just wasn't made for that. We either have to live with that or stop using it. :)

urgno

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:42:28 pm »
because it's enough to connect to tracker and start logging IPs

that's the point ... if i use one anonymizer like jap to connect to tracker, nobody sniffing my connection, can know what tracker i connect to  ::)
i know this is not enough, but is better than nothing  ;D

obviously imho