Author Topic: hackers into movies  (Read 11542 times)

texasboy

hackers into movies
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:08:38 am »
Just a passing note for those that havent seen this yet. Been out for a while.

HD-DVD cracked
Hollywood bosses not likely to be best pleased with hackers’ latest game.

It was only a matter of time: HD-DVD has reared its head on BitTorrent sites across the globe. It seems that hackers have managed to crack the top notch format’s copy protection, AACS, and started posting links to their favourite films.

Hollywood big hitters were assured the code could not be broken when talk of a switch to HD began to gather steam. Except now it appears their advisors underestimated the world’s hardcore hackers.

Copies of King Kong, Batman Begins and Serenity are just three of the movies up for grabs.

Things are only likely to get worse when HD-DVDR drives start to hit the market over the next year. So not exactly a Happy New Year if you happen to run a Hollywood studio.

cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: hackers into movies
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:13:36 am »
I've already seen someone rip off a blu-ray movie and change it so it can be burnt on to an HD DVD.

So much for AACS.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:21 am »
I've already seen someone rip off a blu-ray movie and change it so it can be burnt on to an HD DVD.

So much for AACS.
lol, Do these people have no work to go to, or is the money an incentive to sit in front of pc tearing programs apart. I suppose the codes are only as safe as a human mind can make them.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:44:05 am »

So much for AACS.
lol, Do these people have no work to go to, or is the money an incentive to sit in front of pc tearing programs apart. I suppose the codes are only as safe as a human mind can make them.
cheers

Nope, no money incentives, just satisfaction and internet glory :P

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 08:18:56 am »

So much for AACS.
cheers

What sort of people do you think they are? Proffessional IT ,self taught stay at home, or what?
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 10:35:07 am »

So much for AACS.
cheers

What sort of people do you think they are? Proffessional IT ,self taught stay at home, or what?
cheers

Probably both, usually if you have quite a love of this kind of thing to be that good, which means your self taught and usually leads to a job in the field.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:12:18 am »
I remember when BluRay and HD-DVD hadn't even been completed yet and their copy protection was only in "beta" type stages, and the guy who (legally) cracked CSS in DVDs said it was obvious how to crack their new 'uncrackable'  software, and released some of the code into the web. Not surprising that it has been fully cracked already. I always say, the more protection there is, the more fun the hackers will have...