Author Topic: laptop. Did I get a good deal?  (Read 9934 times)

texasboy

laptop. Did I get a good deal?
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:53 am »
My daughters old 1.8ghz 533FSB 128mb HP laptop was sent back to Currys for repair (2nd time) problem with power and mobo at Christmas time. Unfortuneatly ;D the manager forgot to assign a job number and forward the laptop on for repair.(we had 5 years insurance paid for). The laptop has laid hidden in the back of their storeroom for over a month. Under the insurance we were entitled to a new replacement unit after 21 days (rub hands with glee ;))
We picked a Toshiba Equium A100-306 Duo core,with 1GB ram 80GBHDD, 15WXGA TRUBRITE TFT Screen,DVD-SUPER-MULTI Drive (2 layer)
Vista ready,Wireless built in,Win XP MCE. T5500 CARD(not familiar with) Only 5400 rpm drive but it seems like a good swop.
FSB667MZH.up and running as we post. Was this a good swop??
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: laptop. Did I get a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:56:13 am »
Pretty nice laptop, it's Core 2 Duo, not Core Duo (2 is about twice as good :P).

The T5500 is the CPU, it's a fast low power CPU which will completely outdo the old rubbish CPUs they used to put in Laptops only a year ago.

Though it's only got an inbuilt graphics card which is a bit rubbish, so don't expect to play any games seriously.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 10:00:54 am by Quantum »
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

azngosu

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:06:09 pm »
umm yea? everything (almsot) is as twice as better then your old laptop.

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 03:29:58 am »
Many tks for the info Quantum/AZNGOSU.
Yes you are correct,it is core 2 duo. Ref graphics, I suppose its the usual story that I cant update to a better card allowing Currys/PC World to install, and keeping warranty in place.? The picture on the screen is actually very good and everything is quite fast on broadband. It comes with Norton 2006 which I am reluctant to use. Have wireless router and will install NOD32 from chips link.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:38:21 am »
Wise idea Tex.

The screen is quite good and the integrated graphics card will be able to deal with the basics, displaying a screen, flash animation, very basic downloadable games, Java graphics, just will struggle with real 3D games.

Well that's my experience of integrated graphics chips, I understand they've improved in their time but I don't think they quite make it yet.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

smsm go

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:25:38 am »
thankyou