RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: the dangers of bleach  (Read 7134 times)

texasboy

the dangers of bleach
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:44:35 am »
Yesterday I spent 4 hours at casualty(local hospital) with severe inhalation of Chlorine Gas. Nose running,eyes burning,severe coughing,hard to breathe,vomiting.etc  All because of a stupid mistake I made at work.
http://www.thecaretakers.net/CMS/content/view/46/1/
I had just finished a CCTV survey  in an old peoples sheltered dwelling involving a shower room where foul had been coming up through the floor drain/.
Being the good Samaritan I offered to clean up the floor ,so that the 80 year old gentleman could have a shower. Enclosed room with only extractor fan. Run shower, added 1/2 cup of industrial strength Chloris(bleach),and began scrubbing. Because of detergents/cleaners already in floor.the bleach reacted immediately and started producing a very toxic chlorine gas(which can kill).
Anyway after oxygen.nebulizers,blood tests,x-rays,and now on breathing steroids tablets. I would recommend that you all have some respect for even the common bleach and watch what you mix it with.It can be lethal.
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
Re: the dangers of bleach
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:36 pm »
It seems it might not have been the cleaners already in the floor (but if there was one containing Ammonia certainly) but the urine itself reacts with bleach to release toxic chloramine gases (which would be a good disinfectant had it not been in a pure form haha... instead yes it would try and kill you).

Sounds like a typical day at work right?

robdaisy

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 02:24:11 am »
i run a sauna and we have problems regulating our chlorine all the time, people forever getting their balls burnt

RadDaveâ„¢

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:17:45 am »
I tell ya... you can't even go around peeing into a bucket of bleach without someone goin to the hospital. jeez....