Author Topic: Damaged HDD problem  (Read 11904 times)

weera

Damaged HDD problem
« on: November 04, 2006, 10:16:23 pm »
Hi guys, I need some advice on this one.
My HDD is damaged, still able to see or open files in it but some files are corrupt or damaged. I'm saving good files to another drive right now.
My HDD was dropped when it was working, it's an USB HDD.
Am I able to use it again after I moved all files and reformat it? Or should I buy a new one?
Thanks in advance for any input :)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged HDD problem
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 12:32:14 am »
Depends how damaged it was. Hard drives are the most sensative thing to being dropped, if something is misaligned in it now, there's no recovering it I'm afraid. I'd give it a format and another try though.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

james007torres24

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 12:45:17 am »
yes idk anything about this but yea u should reformat then run that error checking thing on the HDD. i think ther is a was to block out the damaged part of it and just write and read on the rest of it.

weera

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 07:46:27 am »
Depends how damaged it was. Hard drives are the most sensative thing to being dropped, if something is misaligned in it now, there's no recovering it I'm afraid. I'd give it a format and another try though.
Yeah, I might try to reformat and give it another shot. Luckily it still running but very slow with lag time that stressed me out >:(
Thanks Quantum :)

yes idk anything about this but yea u should reformat then run that error checking thing on the HDD. i think ther is a was to block out the damaged part of it and just write and read on the rest of it.
Yeah, it was once that CHKDSK thing ran on the drive and do the thing.
Thanks James :)

gazu2k

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:28:56 am »
You should try Spinrite 6 from Gibson Research

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Offline coma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 02:34:06 pm »
Toss it in the freezer for a bit an then see how it works.....  Remove it from the bay its in

mekp21

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 01:13:18 am »
+1 for the Spinrite sugestion and also look int HDD Regenerator http://www.dposoft.net/#b_hddhid

bigt304

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:12 am »
Backup whatever you can, reformat it and give it another shot...if still acting up, sell it on EBAY...Next time buy from Costco, their return policy is ridiculously awesome.

good luck  ;D

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:57:43 pm »
USB tells me you have an external HDD; back up the data to a DL DVD, then delete the partion and replace (from where you purchased)