Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3  (Read 19430 times)

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Windows XP Service Pack 3
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:40:43 am »
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Released to Manufacturing

Today we are happy to announce that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) has released to manufacturing (RTM). Windows XP SP3 bits are now working their way through our manufacturing channels to be available to OEM and Enterprise customers.

We are also in the final stages of preparing for release to the web (i.e. you!) on April 29th, via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Online documentation for Windows XP SP3, such as Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and the Microsoft TechNet Windows XP TechCenter, will be updated then. For customers who use Windows XP at home, Windows XP SP3 Automatic Update distribution for users at home will begin in early summer. 

Thanks to everyone here who installed the public betas, you not only gave us detailed feedback but also helped each other out with timely troubleshooting. Through the beta program we found several important issues and were able to confirm some essential fixes. We couldn't have done this without you.

We will still be monitoring this forum (TechNet) during the next few weeks in case you have more feedback about the release of Windows XP SP3.

On behalf of myself, Shashank Bansal and Windows Serviceability, many thanks.

Chris Keroack
Release Manager, Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows Serviceability

What number build SP3 RTM ?

Answer: 5512

Chris Keroack
Release Manager, Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows Serviceability

Related story: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/04/23/download-microsoft-windows-xp-service-pack-3-rtm-final/

TheHalf™
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:46:27 am by TheHalf™ »

texasboy

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:43 am »
Was just talking about SP3 today. Hopefully will  be good for XP users for a little while. But game manufacturers producing high end games for Vista will be looking at phasing out XP in the next few years. It was a good OS.
cheers

MinLo

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:22:02 am »
I have it so far no probs or differences

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:47:28 pm »
It apperars to be some problems with SP3, the only thing that was weird was when downloading thru my standard IP tracking software it didn't show any activity at all ????? So I used the OldSchool Dos prompt and "Netstat" with the proper syntax to see WTF was going on, GOOD LUCK  ;D

SP3 -
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2302371,00.asp
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Windows_XP_SP3_Is_Not_Bug_Free_17405.html
http://www.crn.com/software/207601657

Netstat -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490947.aspx

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:38 pm »
Is this worth me installing? Is it technically "out" yet? I don't really want to be installing a virtual beta version of it...

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:44 pm »
Is this worth me installing? Is it technically "out" yet? I don't really want to be installing a virtual beta version of it...

Yes it's technically out now, not it's not a beta version. Either download the partial version from the windows update site (this will work out which bits of it you don't need because you'll already have a whole load of security updates) or download the full version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:17:35 am »
downloaded sp3 on one of my pcs winxp No problems.
cheers

hello21

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 09:01:15 am »
i cann`t download a windows sp3 he make problem and destory windows  in my computer and i inatall windows again

texasboy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:03:57 am »
i cann`t download a windows sp3 he make problem and destory windows  in my computer and i inatall windows again

Best way is to set your PC for automatic updates in control panel. Microsoft will install or fail  the update automatically. If it fails it will usually give you an error code number which you can then check out on MS site. Mine was installed automatically without using outside links.
cheers

surfer

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:09:13 pm »
is there really any additional functionality that sp3 brings?

when i upgraded to sp3 it blew out my video and audio drivers.
sp3 refused to rollback.
drivers refused rollback also.
on top of that i couldn't find my oem CD.
I had to search the web in safemode low rez 16 color mode. (try it sometime it's a real b*tche)
took me days to find a third party website that was now the manufacturers rep.
fortunately drivers for a later version of my pc work on mine.

I don't think that this is a typical experience but i would mention a caviat if anyone has an older PC
"if it anin't broke don't fix it" at the very least be sure you have access to your installation disks

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 07:09:12 am »
Surfer, Even my old 8 year old PC with only a 1.3 processor and older ati 9550 graphics card had no bother upgrading to SP3. Running great. Most XP computers should have no problems,and will benefit from it. No need to alarm people.
cheers

surfer

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:34 am »
but it did happen to me and i'm not exactly a novice. :o
obviously Your Mileage May Vary. i was just recommending caution.
i could have upgraded to SP2 i've done that a many times on various computers with no probs since some online software simply won't install on SP1.
i just don't know of the marginal utility that SP3 brings.
i don't think people should be scared;  just have backups and utilities handy (as most major upgrades recommend) in case the unforeseen happens.
And in my case my PC is a SFF unit that was very hard to fix after the fact
SP3 does run quite nicely on my PC after the the Video and Audio drivers were reinstalled  8)