Author Topic: Vista sales  (Read 9995 times)

texasboy

Vista sales
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:45:47 am »
Windows Vista selling like hot cakes
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:49:20 +0100

Microsoft says sales of Windows Vista are beating expectations. With more than 20 million copies sold since release, it has eclipsed the early performance of Windows XP, which sold 17 million licenses in the first two months on sale.

Microsoft presented its sales figures last night, stating that in the month from the Windows Vista launch on 30 January to 28 February, the operating system had sold some 20 million copies. Windows XP 's opening month was in November and December 2001. The figures are contrary to many reports over the last month that Vista is not selling as well as it should.

"With every new version of Windows, there are people who forecast poor sales, and complain that the new operating system lacks compelling reasons to upgrade," says Paul Douglas, editor of our sister publication Windows Vista: The Official Magazine . "This is nonsense, of course. Windows Vista offers a host of improvements over previous versions of Windows, both visually and under the bonnet, so we're not surprised to see sales ahead of expectations."

Not everybody agrees. Michael Silver, vice president of research at analyst Gartner, actually thinks sales should "probably should be more."

Silver told the Associated Press news agency that, as the PC market has nearly doubled in size since the launch of Windows XP, the number of Vista sales should have too.

Silver said 51 million consumer PCs were sold in XP's first full year - 2002. This year 96 million home users are to buy a computer.

The sales figures include licences sold to computer manufacturers such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard , direct sales through upgrade programs, online sales, as well as sales through resellers.

Powered by PC Plus

Just for info.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Vista sales
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:15:02 pm »
Vista sales are poor, you can't really compare Vista sales to XP sales, because simply more PCs and Laptops are bought every day now and there are more PCs and Laptops which Vista could be installed on. The only thing Vista sales are indicative of is that OEM sales are higher than they were 5 years ago.

When a company is comparing the sales of their new product, to their product 5 years ago, when everyone knows full well the market has expanded massively, you know they're not doing as well as they would have liked. Another easy example of that at the moment would be Sony and the PS3.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:30:25 am by Quantum »
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:27 pm »
"This is nonsense, of course. Windows Vista offers a host of improvements over previous versions of Windows, both visually and under the bonnet, so we're not surprised to see sales ahead of expectations."

Ahuh well sorry Mr Douglas but it's all face value. As the Bad Boys put it, it's nothing but a shiny dick with two chairs in it.

cissie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 04:04:50 pm »
We went shopping today and saw it in  the shop.. $399 for the standard version and $799 for the deluxe version.

It can stay there for all i care.. am happy with what i have for the moment. ;D

weera

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 10:36:59 pm »
I dunno what was about Vista that Microsoft people is good about?
I'm planning on upgrading my PC and Vista is not on my list.
I'll stick with XP for now

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:25:25 am »
 ;D  A few comments from professionals on another forum

Many folks thought they would receive their DVD within a few days of the official retail release. The smarter ones expected it would take upwards of a month to get the upgrades all shipped--and we weren't so smart. Microsoft's chosen fulfillment provider has had this in a screwed-up mess since the get go.

Even after you successfully register, you have to mail in specific paperwork--just like a rebate program. My submission was in early March--a full five weeks after the official retail release.

By the way, the upgrade is not free. The cost of the upgrade is zero, but nearly $13 is attached for shipping and handling.

--Jim J., Laurium, Michigan

Second Thoughts

I am sorry I ever bought a new laptop with Vista. My Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 does not work; to have the same functionality, I have to repurchase Acrobat 8.0 Pro for $449. (I can't even buy the upgrade because Vista will not allow me to install my Acrobat 7.0 Pro.)

Mr. Gates did not do anyone any favors because that is only the tip of the iceberg. My Lexmark X74-75 doesn't have upgraded drivers. Then there's Jasc Paint Shop telling me I need to buy Corel's version XI in order to use the product with Vista.

If you ever have the chance to bump into Mr. Gates, tell him thanks. I am 61 years old and finally beginning to understand why kids hack their software products. They all deserve it and Vista is the case in point."

--Joe S., Jersey City, New Jersey

Even the Pros Are Annoyed

As a professional IT consultant and owner of a firm serving many clients, I share your views of Vista being (for all intents and purposes) an intermediary step to the next OS revolution.

We have halted any clients from installing Vista, and many are having trouble finding PCs without it (searching for laptops or desktops with Win XP Pro installed is a full-time job). We blogged about it on our Web site and are waiting for the two-year itch for the next OS upgrade."

--Thomas P., Huntington Beach, California

I've documented some of my experiences trying to build a PC that I can sell to clients who want Vista. Some really basic, but key add-ons, such as Real audio/video and QuickTime, aren't Vista-ready yet, In several instances I was unable to get the Java runtime to work (upon going to a site with Java content IE7 would simply close).

Pity the poor public who is pushed out of the nest and forced to fly with Vista."

--Tim W., Dallas

Many other forums are the same and I feel its a shame that vista is being rammed down our throats without a choice of buying pc`s without this add on.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 08:20:45 am »
Request a PC with Linux on  ;D Dell are starting to do it.

I finally got round to trying unbuntu the other day, like a geeks heaven. I downloaded it, burnt it to a DVD and then booted it. The entire OS runs off the DVD without having to install it to the hard drive, I decide to install it anyway on one of my old spare hard drives so I get a better performance out of it. As I'm install the OS I can still use the currently loaded OS to play games, browse the internet etc.. It was pretty awesome compared to all the VERY painful times I've had with installing Windows.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:40:09 am »
I dunno what was about Vista that Microsoft people is good about?
I'm planning on upgrading my PC and Vista is not on my list.
I'll stick with XP for now
;D If its good enough for you Weera, then its ok for me. Too much money pressure from MS. they want us to upgrade every 5 secs. Its a cult thing for those that want to be ahead of the common people. ;)
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 01:18:34 pm »
Sales for a new OS are always not that much. I agree that you can't compare them to XP sales too though because more people have PCs now.

A lot of people are waiting to get newer/faster computers to support it or are waiting for there to be more compatibility.

Microsoft has had a history of new OSes having horrible compatbility.