Author Topic: 8 core?  (Read 24085 times)

texasboy

8 core?
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:36:30 am »
 ;D Any thoughts?

http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/news/gadget/gadget-story.php?storyid=5692162

Should be right up NWM`s street to help with his editing.lol
cheers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:41:23 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: 8 core?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:37:25 am »
Non-native scale up is poor, about 40-60% compared to dual, clock for clock. Same goes for double dual core AMD solutions. Intel don't have the same bandwidth to play with, so their double quad cores are going to be 40-60% better than quad, clock for clock or even less.

Unless all you do is encode media files, or run multiple CPU intensive programs, like GIMPS (but not folding at home, because you're better just getting a GPU to do that), it's all just over priced non-sense. Second generation quad and oct core systems are going to be awesome, when AMD bring out barcelona and later when Intel bring out Nehalem and software is built from the ground up to take advantage of multi-core (playing around on a dual core is fun even without optiumization, but I highly doubt benefits from increasing cores to 4 and even worse to 8, without actually running 4 - 8 heavy programs at once).

But oh wells, always the case with 1st generation hardware, 90% of the time its out performed by the currently exisiting matured hardware.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 04:21:08 pm »
I'll take it as long you pay for it  ;)

MinLo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:20 pm »
I'll take it as long you pay for it  ;)

Same here......heck I'll pay the first $50 dollars to top EB aka NW offer !!! :D :D

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:15:59 am »
Damn. Well I'm going for a job interview tomorrow so if I get it I'll raise ya $200 :P

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 03:54:40 am »
My friend who worked for intel got laid off last week and he got to take his workstation home with him.

Dual quad-core xeons for 8 cores total. :p!

8 gigs ram, among other amazing things...

texasboy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:03:12 am »
 ;D The very average family PC doesnt need any of this "latest" up to date technology. Unless you are gaming or editing to the extreme, why do you need to spend 100`s to keep up with the market. We are always finding people who say you are not with it unless you have this and that.. Most recent graphics cards will play games to an acceptable level. Family PC`s are there for everyday use ,photo`s/documents/games and most over the counter units are more than adequate.
I am presently on an old HP710  1.3ghz 512mb which downloads files at 250-300kbps. It is kept up to date,cleaned.etc still has 61% free space on a 40gbHD. The graphics are excellent even with a Radeon 9550 card.
Admittedly I have another PC upstairs running an SLI mobo with 2GB mem and p4 extreme edition . But I am not a dedicated gamer. This PC is great for downloads and doesnt need help.
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:34:09 am »
While I agree, having a fast PC today makes a huge difference in how nice the PC 'feels', when things just open seemingly instantly. I know I've got lots of average home users hooked on fast dual cores just because they can open and do things without waiting around for the PC to load stuff.

Fast graphics cards on the other hand are for either gamers or video designers, well for now at least.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 11:33:52 pm »
mmm playing around in After Effects (post production tool... CGI and green screen, that type of thing) at Uni... the core2duo 2.4ghz with 2GB of RAM struggles. Although these are only first year editing suites, the advanced ones should cope (no idea what they'll have)

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:28:19 am »
mmm playing around in After Effects (post production tool... CGI and green screen, that type of thing) at Uni... the core2duo 2.4ghz with 2GB of RAM struggles. Although these are only first year editing suites, the advanced ones should cope (no idea what they'll have)

CGI always needs better specs. 2GBs of RAM was normal for that kind of thing 2 - 3 years ago (on a home PC), now if you put a home PC together to do that kind of thing you'd seriously consider 8GBs of RAM and a Core 2 Quad 2.93+ GHz.

texasboy

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:43:08 am »

CGI always needs better specs. 2GBs of RAM was normal for that kind of thing 2 - 3 years ago (on a home PC), now if you put a home PC together to do that kind of thing you'd seriously consider 8GBs of RAM and a Core 2 Quad 2.93+ GHz.

My Nividea SLI mobo  will handle 8GB`s but I dont really need that much at present. Maybe when I retire and become a couch gamer.lol
cheers

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 09:25:40 pm »
Win XP doesn't support 8GB of RAM anyway. You'd need Vista or Linux or something

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 03:34:10 am »
Win XP doesn't support 8GB of RAM anyway. You'd need Vista or Linux or something

Well XP doesn't obviously (it's a 32 bit OS). But doesn't XP x64?

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:52 pm »
...I have no idea what the relation is between the bit of the OS and the amount of RAM it can handle.

Besides standard Vista is a 32 bit OS isn't it?

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »
...I have no idea what the relation is between the bit of the OS and the amount of RAM it can handle.

Besides standard Vista is a 32 bit OS isn't it?

If it's a 32bit OS that means it can only make 2^32 address in the ram, which is the same as 4GBs.

If it's a 64bit OS you can make 2^64 address in the ram, which is the same as 17'179'869'184GBs (though in practise due to both hardware and software constraints this is a lot lower, but will increase over time).

Vista 32bit OS can not have more than 4GBs of ram, just as a 32bit CPU can not have more than 4GBs or ram, thus the push in to 64bits.