Author Topic: Australia severe weather  (Read 9228 times)

texasboy

Australia severe weather
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:15:05 am »
 :( Has anyone heard from NightWatchman or Cissie?
The East coast of OZ seems to be getting a hammering.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070609/wl_asia_afp/australiaweather.
Hope everone is ok.
cheers

cissie

Re: Australia severe weather
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:09:59 pm »
okay.. the storms are really bad.. 4 hours or 3 hours south of me.. we are on the mid north coast.. the storms are on the central coast of New South Wales.  My supervisor lives down there, and i got a text message from him this morning asking for yesterdays figures as he still didn't have any power to log into pc.  The old pacific highway has got a section washed away, 6 lives been lost which is devastating.  Sydney has had some severe winds and plenty of rain however they have been spared the disaster.  The catchment areas are filling which is good for the water supply, as they are in severe drought. 

Budgewoi is one of the worst hit areas.. they have rivers in their streets.. its terrible.. but we are in sunshine and cool nights.. nothing here for a change, as Coffs Harbour usually gets hit with floods, but usually around Christmas time.  Just a run down for you letting you know all is aok here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 08:36:08 am by cissie »

texasboy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:28:41 am »
Glad to hear you are ok. Is NightWatchman anywhere near all this??
cheers

cissie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:19:40 am »
No...  he is on the West side of the Country... 2 days drive from the problems.  If you look at a pic of oz.. you will see there is almost a direct line from me to him..  it was a very isolated storm... i have a friend down there.. got some pics.. one car park, there was water up to the windows...

The storm was north of sydney by about 1 hour drive, and 4 hours drive south for me.. then it went inland as well..

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »
Yeah I live on the West Coast so I'm literally thousands of kms away! So it's nice and sunny here.. heh.

I hear Sydney is getting the worst of it and it could be around for another few days still?

cissie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 02:55:54 pm »
nah... Sydney is fine.. Newcastle, Budgerwoi, and the riverina district.. they got the hammering.. i have a friend in Budgerwoi.. has a business there.. the town has had no power for 3 days.. she finally got hot water today.. her house is flooded out, sewerage was a major problem, as the rivers would peak, then more rain.. then a day later it would peak again... sydney just complains about the "what ifs"  they should be happy, as the run off from the floods is going into their major catchment.. Warrengamba dam.. so they are getting a positive.  They did get some rain storms, and some winds, but nah.. they are fine.  Newcastle, inland from there.. also Gosford and Woy Woy are a little bit hammered.. Electricity commission said its the worst Electrical damage in 30 years.  Some places are still without power.  The saddest part is the loss of lives.. you can replace things, but so sad when a whole family is just gone.. mum, dad, and 3 children, and another man, seperate incident.

Yes.. i have also been out in the sun today.. lovely winter here.. 25 deg C.. mmmmmmm... just lovely. That's 80F for all you others.

This will give you an idea of where it is on the map.. don't worry about the arrow.. that is where i originally lived and shifted to Coffs.. just south.. from me around Newcastle.. on the map above sydney is where the storm struck.  Hope this gives you an idea.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:00:44 pm by cissie »

texasboy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 04:41:02 am »
 ;D Good to hear from you NWM (see how I worry.lol).
Great info cissie. We were actually hotter today 26-27C Hot sunshine even now at 7.30pm its 24C.
Have you noticed how the weather is changing in most countries,flash floods,earthquakes,higher temps.Its crazy.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:00:28 am »
 ;D Would you believe it. We have had solid rain since Monday,flooding,and more to come,The UK having a bad time too. http://www.virginmedia.com/news/uk/uk-story.php?storyid=9256373 But getting back to Australia heres a shot of a ship that ran aground during the storms.
near Newcastle NSW.
Thankfully the cargo of fuel didnt escape.
CHEERS