RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Could this be the answer?  (Read 7143 times)

texasboy

Could this be the answer?
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:25:39 am »
 ;D Forget oil/coal/nuclear power. If you live in a sunny climate then this might be a healthy option for the future.

http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/news/solar-power-station.php
As technology progresses it might work for some countries who can pass surplus power to neighbours.
cheers

MinLo

Re: Could this be the answer?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:07:56 pm »
Defiently should be the answer but won't be anytime while were still alive........

Could you imagine the drama it would bring, a country blocking another country/ies sunlight to deprive them of power...... :o ;D....

bosoxfan

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:31 pm »
Why couldn't it work while we're alive?

Also, am I the only one who took this sentence:

At the moment it may cost three times as much to generate the equivalent power via oil or coal, but solar energy production costs are expected to fall as technologies improve.
to mean that oil or coal is three times more expensive?  This is obviously not what they intended to convey based on the second part of the sentence, but didn't they botch the first part then?

MinLo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:51 pm »
Why couldn't it work while we're alive?

I just don't see the big companies profiting enough to consider to change over from their current energy investments..........
Profitability is much more of a concern to most investors than is environmental factors.........Right now the price is too high to even try to profit from us folks.........
With the already ample availability of oil/coal/nuclear and  the fact profits exceeds millions/billions, it just wouldn't make sense to the investors/current energy provider super powers........
With oil, they seem to be able to manipulate pricing easier.......
I couldn't imagine how they would gouge the prices with solar power.......
One cloudy day and the price goes $5 per whatever unit they will use to price it......

Also, am I the only one who took this sentence:

At the moment it may cost three times as much to generate the equivalent power via oil or coal, but solar energy production costs are expected to fall as technologies improve.
to mean that oil or coal is three times more expensive?  This is obviously not what they intended to convey based on the second part of the sentence, but didn't they botch the first part then?

What I got from that is that it is 3 times more expensive to produce the solar energy equivalent to what it would cost to produce the oil/coal equivalent.......They just made a typo in my mind, so I didn't really notice it til you pointed it out....... :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:28:31 pm by MinLo »

richo1uk

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:35:32 pm »
ty ;D