Author Topic: xp different to vista  (Read 7102 times)

texasboy

xp different to vista
« on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:52 am »
 ;D Looking for probably a very simple answer. Just bought the wife a fairly basic laptop which has vista home basic installed along with 3 months of Norton (which will be removed shortly to NOD32). Very slow to boot up and slow to close down. On XP I could use all programmes, select "run" and use msconfig to select programmes to boot with,to speed up .
There doesmt seem to be the same options on vista. Any ideas how I can speed up boot and shut down.
cheers

MinLo

Re: xp different to vista
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:53:44 am »
;D Looking for probably a very simple answer. Just bought the wife a fairly basic laptop which has vista home basic installed along with 3 months of Norton (which will be removed shortly to NOD32). Very slow to boot up and slow to close down. On XP I could use all programmes, select "run" and use msconfig to select programmes to boot with,to speed up .
There doesmt seem to be the same options on vista. Any ideas how I can speed up boot and shut down.
cheers

This page should help Tex.......>>>> http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_vista.html ........<<<<<.........

Offline Bovski

• Head Cider Tester
  • High Five Me
    • View Profile
    • Warez The Index
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 02:26:09 am »
don't forget removing preinstalled Norton isn't just a case of un-installing it it leaves behind a parts of itself so you cant install competitors virus checkers.

this may help though it still leaves traces you should be able to install competitive products.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:29:58 am by Bovski »

texasboy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:13:21 am »
MinLo/Bovski, To both of you many thanks. A little tired at moment but will work through all this lot tmw. And yes Norton is a complete hoarder of files and from past experience I had to work hard to get rid of all the little bits and pieces. Totally an uneccessary programme for my PC. Why they preload this unto most new PC`s is beyond me.
Great info.
cheers

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:26:58 am »
 ;D Yes, finally got through getting rid of Norton. Even with the removal tool it still likes to leave its traces. But search for symantec and norton did the trick,also check systems as the removal tool is still embedded and needs to be removed. Lots of driver updates and file cleanups etc The laptop is running great on its 1.86 processor and the lowly Intel M440 chip. Updated the graphics drivers (VIA) and we now have a a very comfortable laptop for average daily use.(no serious gaming) Did the usual msconfig for minimum start up and knocked at least2 min off boot up time.
cheers