Author Topic: DVD dual layer  (Read 10721 times)

mac117

DVD dual layer
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:47:50 am »
Need yr help here guys, trying to burn off Rome season 1, its 12 episodes long so would like to get it to fit onto a dvd+dl disc, nero 7 cant cope with this. Can anyone help with either what software will cope.

Thinking of burning to hard disc folder using nero, then using dvd shrink, donno thou whether this is a good idea, does the quality decrease or not.

Thanks

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: DVD dual layer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:02 am »
I'm not quite sure why you need a dual layer disc, I've often found 12 episodes of something to fit nicely on to a single layer disc. If Nero can't cope with it then I have to ask the question, are your disks dual layer, can your burner burn to dual layer?

Nero can cope with anything better than I've seen really.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

mac117

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:00:10 am »
Yeah it will burn but i was trying to increase the quality as nero says low, episodes are 50 min, start nero and taking upto 25 hours to burn. Thought using a dual layer would be better.

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:04:17 am »
Yeah it will burn but i was trying to increase the quality as nero says low, episodes are 50 min, start nero and taking upto 25 hours to burn. Thought using a dual layer would be better.

What type of codec are you using? If you want good quality and small file size, use something like XviD or h264. If your burning them to disc DVD encoded and in mpeg2 so you can play them on a normal DVD player then you can't use dual layer anyway, most DVD players simply don't real dual layer.

mac117

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 03:10:03 am »
using nero its set up to use mpeg2.
Is there any other way i can burn episodes to normal dvd disc but keep quality, was thinking of burning to hard drive and using dvd shrink to fit?

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:52:39 pm »
using nero its set up to use mpeg2.
Is there any other way i can burn episodes to normal dvd disc but keep quality, was thinking of burning to hard drive and using dvd shrink to fit?

I'm confused, do you have them on DVD in the first place then?

In which case, reading about it, DVD shrink is probably worth looking in to. And yeah, Nero won't burn to dual layer, because dual layer isn't a standard for DVD file structures.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:08:28 am »
Depending on which version of Nero you have you can burn to a DL DVD and even copy a DL DVD. I use version 7.9.6.0 and with the Nero plugins I can burn to a DL DVD. Fortunately I also have a DVD player (for the TV) that reads and plays DVD data\CD data, Xvid\DivX and mpeg4. So many videos (movies also) I just burn as data (a lot quicker that way) because it only takes minutes to burn and verify.

Below are a few pics of Nero's selections on which DVD medium you may choose from: mini DVD: standard DVD (4.7GB) and DL DVD (8.5GB)

TheHalf™