RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: Problems with uTorrent now - MPAA, etc  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
Problems with uTorrent now - MPAA, etc
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:45:54 am »
This was taken from another tracker site:

Los Angeles - - BitTorrent Founder and CEO Bram Cohen and Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman announced today that the motion picture industry and BitTorrent, Inc. are collaborating with the goal of inhibiting film piracy. Bram Cohen developed a revolutionary technology for websites to make large content files available on the Web and that technology is often used by others illegally to distribute movies and television shows. Today Cohen confirmed BitTorrent, Inc.’s commitment to removing links that direct users to copies of pirated content owned by MPAA companies from its search engine at BitTorrent.com. The announcement today is historic in that two major forces in the technology and film industries have agreed to work together and proactively identify ways to l and to promote constructive innovation in this area.
This is Bram Cohen, the creator of the BitTorrent protocol, and Ludvig (Ludde) Strigeus, the writer of µTorrent.

Together, we are pleased to announce that BitTorrent, Inc. and µTorrent AB have decided to join forces. BitTorrent has acquired µTorrent as it recognized the merits of µTorrent's exceptionally well-written codebase and robust user community. Bringing together µTorrent's efficient implementation and compelling UI with BitTorrent's expertise in networking protocols will significantly benefit the community with what we envision will be the best BitTorrent client.
Response from sysop to this post:

"Yeah I'm afraid it is. Ludde has sold out as it were. Also 1.7 is the first build to be written with the new dev team that was added when Bram bought him out. I've heard that many are simply not allowing anything 1.7 on. Also for the curious out there. 1.7 had a bad habit of mis reporting stats. That bug has supposed to have been fixed in ver. 1.7.1. However atm I only have their word that it has, and I don't think I trust them to much. That is to say, at all.

Think i'll be sticking with 1.6.1 or changing over to a stable/safer client myself. Anyone know if **** is, or will be accepting ver. 1.7.1 as a valid client? To me if you can get past the moral implications your still dealing with a closed source client that may have issues. The least of which is the possibility it's reporting your stats wrong. Sad to see Utorrent go out this way."

I think I might be getting another BT client now...