Author Topic: Connection Speeds  (Read 35023 times)

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Connection Speeds
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:08:03 pm »
I remember starting a topic about broadband connection speeds back when DietK was around, so I am starting a  topic here also.

With BitChe like DietK most of us agree these programs (created by the ever ubiquitous chip) wouldn't be so popular if 88.99% of internet users were using...gulp - dial-up! So a lot of us have gone to DSL, Cable and Fiber (FiOS) and without these broadband connections, files larger than life would be unattainable.

Now this thread isn't solely about computers but there is a connection between your personal PC and the way you personally connect to the internet and I would like to know what our members and guest have when it comes to their ISP and package plans.

You can post your ISP, speeds, rates and results here.

Now there are a few test sites here within the continental US and east across the Atlantic so I'll put in links to the most common.

testmy.net download----> http://www.testmy.net/speedtest/d_load.php

testmy.net ----> upload http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/u_load.php

For those in upstate New York, Ohio, Penn., Ontario----> http://speedtest.cogeco.net/

For those in major US cities----> http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

And for those across the globe----> http://www.speedtest.net/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:49:14 am by TheHalf™ »

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
Re: Connection Speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:34:20 pm »
I used to have Adelphia with 6Mbps\768Kbps, now after the Time Warner Cable acquistion I have Roadrunner 15Mbps\2Mbps for $65.01 USD per month.

Here are my results from some of the servers listed above:

testmy:
:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 14828 Kbps about 14.8 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1810 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2007/09/11 - 3:23am
Bottom Line:: 259X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.57 sec
Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 6.718 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 206.05 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-AL5N93QWC
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 [!]

Cogeco:

Speakeasy: Last Result:
Download Speed: 14563 kbps (1820.4KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1521 kbps (190.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

DSLReports NYC:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:50:09 pm by TheHalf™ »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:58:28 pm »
We're on 8Mbps\0.5Mbps, which these days is a fairly standard connection in the U.K. Have the choise to go to 16Mbps\1Mbps, but that would mean switching to ADSL2, and I've not had pleasant experiences with that so far.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:08:48 am »
TheHalf I am assuming you are from california?

Here in the northeast there is basically a Comcast monopoly. At my house in Boston we have 8Mbps/768k

At my apartment in Worcester it is a lot crappier with Charter Cable at 4Mbps/256k because Comcast is not available.

Verizon FiOS is getting around, it will probably be YEARS until it reaches my house in Boston though. Even though they're in the Boston area, I don't think they have any interest of coming to my neighborhood.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:36:19 am »
Actually Syn I am from New York (Buffalo) just 10 minutes south of Niagara Falls along the river. Here we are on the Rochester backbone of rr.com, prior to this me and many others were on the Adelphia backbone that was centered in Kansas City.

By the way Quantum and Synbios you did not post a speed result...wassup with that?!

texasboy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:26:15 am »
 ;D Dont forget these results are from an 8 year old PC with only a 1.3 processor. HP Pavillion 710

http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/results.php About 1971 kbps
Will try to get more from PC upstairs when I get the chance. This old machine  is still going strong and downloading files from 200-300kbps. On  2MB Broadband. Does the job for general workloads.
cheers

ps. on Speednet it was 1972 kbps with upload of 191 kbps. They are not always truly accurate but give a ball park figure
cheers
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:43:30 am by texasboy »

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 11:28:43 am »
By the way Quantum and Synbios you did not post a speed result...wassup with that?!

Shared Internet connection, people always on and continuously downloading, so wouldn't nearly reflect my actual speed.

texasboy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:23:09 am »

Shared Internet connection, people always on and continuously downloading, so wouldn't nearly reflect my actual speed.

;D We are all in the same situation. When I posted, daughter was playing games on laptop. and better half was downloading photos from my camera. All on wireless connections.  Yes I suppose if I were on my own and hooked up directly to wired broadband my results would be better. Lets see them Quantum.lol
cheers

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 10:15:59 am »

;D We are all in the same situation. When I posted, daughter was playing games on laptop. and better half was downloading photos from my camera. All on wireless connections.  Yes I suppose if I were on my own and hooked up directly to wired broadband my results would be better. Lets see them Quantum.lol
cheers

Well I live with 3 girls in a house this year, so between music, videos and loads of unlicenced anime (stuff just come out in Japan and subtitled by fans, as it's not been licenced over here, it's not copyright infringement to download and watch) there's a lot of downloading going on. Our network connection is completely wired at the moment, but when I get a job I'll be looking at setting up a wireless router, so we can have either wired or wireless. I set up a wireless network at my mums place, they're not the easiest things in the world to set-up stabily, not a big fan of them.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »
I have 8mbps down 384kbps up... and my ISP has now tried to tell me that I uploaded 8GB yesterday and therefore gone over my limit... I think Quantum will back me up here in saying that it is not possible to upload 8GB in a day through a 384kbps connection!  >:(

gr1ngo

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:02:39 pm »
here is mine lightning fast compared to my last one  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 10:52:21 pm »
I have 8mbps down 384kbps up... and my ISP has now tried to tell me that I uploaded 8GB yesterday and therefore gone over my limit... I think Quantum will back me up here in saying that it is not possible to upload 8GB in a day through a 384kbps connection!  >:(

I hope you've rang them and called them idiots.

384kbps = 48kBps = 2880kBp(min) = 172800kBp(hour) = 4147200kBp(day) =4050mBp(day) = 3.955gBp(day)

So you couldn't upload that much in 2 days, even on absolute theoretical maximum.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:24:13 am »
Yes I sent them an email with that calculation. They gave me the GBs back and apologised for it  ::)

texasboy

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 08:42:06 am »
 ;D Good for you NWM. Its a shame they wouldnt catch themselves on and be like the rest of us. No limit on downloads 24/7. Technology is so good these days that they still rip you off,
cheers

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 01:42:05 am »
3772 Kbps   233 Kbps <- Charter in Worcester 4Mbps/256kbps plan.
5701 Kbps   356 Kbps <- Old Comcast 6Mbps/384kbps plan.

I haven't had a chance to run a test on our new comcast at my parent's house yet. I will run it next time I'm home for vacation. But when I was using it over the summer I did get pretty close to 8Mbps and 768kbps upload : p

I heard the cap for comcast is around 50 gigs a month. I download as much as I want and I haven't had a problem yet, I don't think I've hit that cap yet though.