RefreshCapcha

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 14698 times)

gibbler1010

laptop
« on: July 29, 2006, 09:33:30 am »
I want to get a lap top.. something pretty basic.. but not a piece of crap either.. any suggestions.. like I said.. we already have our main PC.. so this would be pretty much be back up for when something goes wrong with this one.. has to get repaired and so on.. so.. basic.. for email .. net surfing.. etc.. any suggestions would be appreciated . :)

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:15:42 pm »
Depends on how much money you want to spend.

If money was no issue, you just wanted something basic that worked, I would suggest an Apple. They can't break!

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:15:58 pm »
Depends on how much money you want to spend.

If money was no issue, you just wanted something basic that worked, I would suggest an Apple. They can't break!

Well that's not true, I think it was one of their recent PowerBook Pros that was very badly designed and users did massive protests about it. But I think a lot of those issues have been sorted out.

The best thing that you can do with computers, computer parts and other related things is to state how much you want to spend in the first place and see what the best you can get for that is.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 12:14:52 am »
Well gibbler you may start with a manufacturer that your comfortable with and go from there or look at more that one manufacturer and look to 2007. Personally in a laptop (notebook) I would recommend Intel's Dual Core and 1 GB of DDR SDRAM. When you visit a manufacturer's website you choose a notebook and then you choose what you want installed. Here are a few links:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=
computer_store&landing=notebooks&category=compaq_presario&aoid=11075

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://www.gateway.com/home/products/hm_ptb_catalog.shtml?cmpid=index*home*tab_consumer*hm_ptb*hm_ptb_catalog

http://www-131.ibm.com/content/home/store_LNV_PublicUSA/en_US/notebooks/index.html

TheHalf™

P.S. Quantum that sig made me chuckle  ;D

texasboy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:24:09 am »
The Half,
Was on another forum before I read this. Was trying to get info on updating graphic card on daughters laptop.
Basically I find that most laptops from major providers cannot be updated, and your stuck with what you buy, Ram can be updated, but it seems like what you buy today in a laptop will be out of date within a month or two. Will this apply to anything that Gibbler buys now??
cheers

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:19:57 pm »
Tex,

That's why I say 2007. If you purchase a laptop today be sure to buy one that is ready for 2007 (Windows Vista) that is hardware hot-swappable. I recommend looking to tomorrow in a purchase of a laptop (notebook) desktop that way your not behind when new hardware\software is released.

TheHalf™

Offline billyfridge

• Unstoppable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:51:17 am »
l.m thinking of making my own computer, it won't be a laptop or a tower, it will be in a drawer under my desk, with all the controls, dvd players etc on the front ;)

gibbler1010

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 11:40:11 am »
well guys I finally got my laptop.. nothing to big and fancy.. but I really like it.. it's an Acer model.. has alot of good reviews, all of which seem reputable.. thanks for the input! :-*