Author Topic: Password protected torrents.  (Read 50225 times)

tubbsbabe

Password protected torrents.
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:50:56 pm »
well hello people, i have a very serious question for anybody that can give me an answer!! does anyone ever get these passwords that you are supposed to go online to get. cause try as i might i cannot for the life of me seem to get one. so if anyone can be of help to me in this matter i would very much appreciate it!!

very frustrated,

Robin

aka:robin_johnson85@yahoo.com

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
Re: Password protected torrents.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:09:56 pm »
They're often crap, either leading to spam or viruses.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Offline Synbios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:17:11 am »
Are you talking about when you download a rar file and then try to open it and see that there it is passworded?

Often the content is not even what you think/need, they're just trying to get people to visit their sites. It's a very poor way to get internet traffic.

Offline TheHalf™

• The"better"Half™
  • Road Runner H.S.I. 30Mbps/5Mbps
    • View Profile
    • Bit Che
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 11:50:04 am »
Has anyone else acquired a torrent file only to find out that the file is 'password protected'? I have and it seems that I would need to go to a website enter my email addy and wait for a password to unlock the archive file (usually a WinRAR file).

TheHalf™

Offline Quantum

• Ascended One
  • Daniel Jackson is looking at you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 09:38:50 pm »
They're usually spam / virus / fake.
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."
Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"
Daniel: "It's macaroni and cheese."

Tzalemoth

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 05:00:38 am »
Hey Tubbsbabe, if ur talking about the stuff I think you are, where they tell you that the password is the so-an-so word inthe sentence that is so-and-so long, and you really want to see if that is the file that you wanted to download(lets hope it isn't a virus) then Picozip is a nice program to help you find the password without ever going to the site. It lets you set the number of letters to look for, and since they say its a word, you know you only have to set it for letters from the alphabet, no numbers  :)
It may take anywhere from 2 secs to 10 minutes to find the password, but it will find it.
Here is the website for this program: www.picozip.com
Obvious, I know lol, but I just thought I'd save you a lil time by putting it here :)

Tzalemoth

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 05:04:23 am »
I don't quite know the protocol for this, but I already posted a reply to something like this from tubbsbabe, here is the url: http://www.convivea.com/forums/index.php?topic=858.0 I hope you find it useful.

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:44:33 pm »
Yes I find it annoying. Quantum, I understand that a lot of them are fake, viruses, etc but I have had a few (TV episodes I've had a lot of) that are password protected and are genuine.

There are some winrar hacks out there (apparently it's not much of an encryption) but if you go to the torrent site you found it on, usually someone has posted a message with the password.

It's all a bit pointless really, why would you password protect your torrent?

edit:

I don't know if you realised that post was months old and I doubt he would have read your post?

Merged anyway
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:53:22 pm by TheNightWatchman »

zhaine177

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:06:18 pm »
The best thing to do is read the comments for the torrent before u even download it. They usually mention if its password protected or if the rar is virus infected.
 :)

Tzalemoth

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 04:16:07 am »
I don't know if you realised that post was months old and I doubt he would have read your post?
Yeah, I noticed and was a lil hesitant about posting my reply, but I thought that other people would get some use out of the info I posted, but, zhaine177 has a better post about it anyway lol  ;D

tubbsbabe

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:17:50 pm »
]yeah guys it has been awhile but dont ever think i forget about the message i have posted and thank you very much for your contributions. it has told me what i need to know and i really appreciate it!!! and for all you skeptical guys out there that didnt think i go back to it, you dont know me now do you!!!!! have a grat new year cause i will!!!!!!!!!!
tubbsbabe

Offline TheNightWatchman

• 24 Frames Per Second
  • Quaere verum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:37:33 pm »
haha well this has got to be a first  ;D

smithy

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:01 am »
hi all
 im new to all this and most off my downloads have been password protected torrents or have been encrypted can anyone help........ [hitdesk]

Offline fuzzytomcat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:57 am »
hi all
 im new to all this and most off my downloads have been password protected torrents or have been encrypted can anyone help........ [hitdesk]

Howdy,

If a download contains the usage of a password or is encrypted or requires a special media player "DO NOT USE" 99.9% of the time it has something you won't end up wanting and will more than likely harm your computer.

A proper and safe torrent has "NO STRINGS " attached.

Fuzzy
 ;D

MinLo

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 04:13:41 pm »
Good advice guys given to the questions posed.....
But now since the thread has been used a couple times over the OP, I'm going to close it  :D